Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Your greatest work is ahead!
Leidos is seeking a recent graduate post-doctoral researcher with experience in material synthesis and characterization with expertise in mixed metal oxide chemistry – particularly in the specialized research and development of these materials for oxygen production and oxidation reactions. Expertise is desired with multiple characterization techniques (e.g. XRD, XPS, SEM, TEM, FTIR, TGA, temperature-programmed techniques, etc.), in particular, XRD, as well as material performance testing and data analyses including Rietveld refinement. The candidate must possess knowledge and practical experience with state-of-the-art mixed metal oxide material fabrication, characterization, and reaction engineering. Knowledge and hands-on experience is required in the understanding of the structure and behavior of these materials in different gaseous and reaction environments. The selected candidate will research closely with the team as well as other researchers at NETL for the development of mixed metal oxide materials for oxygen production as well as oxidation reactions.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 1 year. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Material synthesis using varied techniques and materials.
- Generating test plans for material tests.
- Data analyses and characterization utilizing XRD, XPS, microscopy, FTIR, BET, TGA, TPD/TPR, and others.
- Presenting ideas and results to the research team.
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- A Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field with less than 2 years of post-graduate experience with a focus on mixed metal oxide synthesis for catalytic applications, heterogeneous catalysis, materials, or chemical processing.
- Hands-on experience in materials design, synthesis, and characterization, hydrocarbon conversion reactions or related applications.
- The preference is a candidate that has onsite national laboratory experience and familiarization with the specific safety procedures and processes that must be followed.
- Knowledge of magnetism measurements and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry as well as experience with performing experiments at synchrotron beamlines are preferred.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.