Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Your greatest work is ahead!
Leidos is seeking a post-doctoral or early-career researcher for professional support with a focus on investigating catalysts to provide economical and clean coal (or coal/biomass) derived value-added fuels. The candidate should possess knowledge of and practical experience with state-of-the-art design and characterization for conventional and non-conventional (including microwave based) catalytic reactions. Experience in materials design, synthesis, and pre- and post-run characterization of catalysts is desired.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 1 year. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will. Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Location: Morgantown, WV
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Utilize expertise in catalysis and characterization to generate and conduct experimental test plans, data analyses, and design and diagnostics of reactor systems.
- Utilize knowledge of and experience with characterization for electromagnetic/microwave-assisted catalytic reactions.
- Use knowledge of surface physics and electromagnetic interactions with materials to design an efficient microwave reactor system for chemical reactions.
- Use knowledge of electromagnetics-material interactions to develop new suite of catalysts and materials.
- Conduct experiments and perform data analyses and material characterization utilizing XRD, XPS, microscopy, FTIR, BET, and others.
- Focus on investigating novel methods for design and testing of catalyst materials including but not limited to microwave-based reactor systems.
- Develop numerical models using COMSOL (or similar) to optimize electromagnetic reactor performance.
- Contribute to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Lead efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- A PhD in engineering, chemistry or physics from an accredited university with experience in applied laboratory operations and analyses in a structured laboratory environment with less than two years of post-graduate experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
- Knowledge of and practical experience with catalyst development with a preferred background in carbon conversion processes to value added products.
- Experience with numerical modeling of electromagnetic reactors.
- Experience with electromagnetic reactors, specifically microwave reactors is highly desired.
- Knowledge of COMSOL, ANSYS or other numerical simulation platforms is required.
- Previous work history in conducting research and development in a structured laboratory environment using high-temperature and/or pressurized systems and handling a variety of chemicals.
- Experience and/or familiarity with conducting research in a US Government National Laboratory setting where conducting safe operations is paramount.
- Demonstrated ability to author publications and to present results related to their research work.
- Familiarity with HSC Chemistry or similar and statistical software like SAS or similar is preferred.
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective January 18, 2022, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.