Leidos is seeking a Project Engineer to join Project Management team that plans, leads, and executes a diverse portfolio of projects for the US National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Unites States Antarctic Program (USAP).
This role will support two large projects including efforts to design a new ice breaking research vessel and other large maritime infrastructure projects. The selected project engineer candidate will be expected to be well experienced and competent in whole-engineering-lifecycle engagement and leadership – in taking projects and engineering teams from beginning to successful project delivery and completed closeout.
The mission of the National Science Foundation is "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense", Leidos project engineers have opportunities to manage and support some of the most unique projects around the globe.
- Lead in the development and execution of project initiation processes including, requirements gathering and requirements management, project charter and project execution plan development, stakeholder identification and management.
- Manage an integrated team of engineering disciplines across Leidos, Leidos subsidiaries and Leidos subcontractors to deliver technical packages needed for the design and construction of an ABS classed ice breaking research vessel. Establish meeting rhythm, review processes, information management and other tools needed for successful execution with a remote team.
- Dynamic team leader able to serve as part of the project management team, supporting both project management and project engineering concerns in the execution of projects.
- Navigate through the requirements of the National Science Foundation’s Major Facility Guide (MFG) in the execution of a design and construction program for an ice breaking research vessel.
- Have a thorough knowledge in engineering processes, tools and resources required in developing marine vessel designs from conceptual to production engineering and through testing and trials and delivery for US commercial vessel and/or government vessel programs.
- Be knowledgeable in project procurement management. Areas of required knowledge and experience include contract types, contract and subcontract negotiations, and development of statements of work, requests for information, and requests for proposals.
- Lead in the development and management of project risks.
- Perform well in developing, delivering, and presenting routine project status briefings.
- Work to ensure high end-user and client satisfaction.
- Leads, manages and integrates day-to-day execution of project activities in accordance with contract requirements and ensures technical, schedule, cost, and financial performance.
- Develop work statements for external work requests (other Leidos or subcontractor support).
- Assist in the development of acquisition products for vessel crew and ship builder.
- Knows when to escalating project challenges to leadership and is not timid in doing so.
- Supports project staff management.
- Reports to customer in project meetings on status of technical development of deliverables. Prepares and delivers presentations to the customer, including coordinating participation of the Leidos technical team subject matter experts to present as well.
- Champions performance excellence and continuous service improvement.
- Interfaces with task and functional leaders, subcontractors, and support personnel.
- Ensures technical products maintain required configuration and quality controls through all phases of the project.
- Ensure communication and information management systems are adequate to keep team informed throughout the execution of the project.
- Additionally, the candidate must possess strong creative, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Manages technical projects top keep them on schedule, within scope and on budget, tracking and reporting on both project and revenue reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant naval architect/marine engineer discipline and 15 years’ experience in vessel design, construction and operations, minimum 10 years of which is vessel design.
- Expert knowledge of ship design and construction industries.
- Experience developing design from conceptual to contract drawings.
- Experience with ABS and USCG regulatory approval of drawings.
- Experience with shipyard production engineering.
- Experience with testing, trials and delivery of a vessel from a shipyard.
- Relevant experience includes the delivery of vessels greater than 90m length of US Flag requirements and classified under an International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) member, such as ABS.
- Management of teams of 15 or more engineers/technical staff.
- Management of projects greater than $150M.
- Must be articulate, able to communicate with multiple levels of clients and stakeholders.
- Must have current working knowledge of commercial construction industry standards and certifications.
- Experience managing various types of contracts for subcontractors including, but not limited to, Fixed Price, Time and Materials, Design Build, Incentive-Based.
- Professional Engineering license (any state).
- Specific experience with ABS, Ice Class/IMO Polar Code and CFR Subchapter U vessels.
- Experience with commercial operating charters.
- Master’s degree in relevant naval architect/marine engineer discipline.
- 20 years’ experience in vessel design, construction and operations.
- Experience with Earned Value Management systems and as a Control Account Manager
PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
Eventual international travel will be required in this position. Travel to Antarctica is not anticipated.
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective January 18, 2022, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.