Ready for your next career step? We are seeking a talented Software Systems Engineer with 4-8 years hands-on experience to work with our team in Newport News, VA. The position can support up to 50% telework.
This opportunity will provide professional growth that is singularly focused on providing world class solutions to US Air Force bases around the globe in an exciting, collaborative, and inclusive environment. You will be challenged and provided a tremendous opportunity to expand your skills in a customer-facing, fast-paced, and rewarding environment.
- All aspects of the software development lifecycle including scope and work estimation, architecture and design, coding, and automated testing within an Agile and Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery model.
- Design, develop, troubleshoot, and debug mission critical software source code using modern software development languages and tools, such as Java.
- Use Agile development tools such as Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket/Git to manage work and collaborate with other teams.
- Create and update relevant documentation and specifications for design, development and testing.
- Identify potential roadblocks and develop around them.
- Plan and estimate development tasks and work to improve performance metrics.
- Develop and execute maintainable code that matches specification.
- Develop automated tests leveraging a continuous integration process.
- Work closely with other engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development.
- Build software solutions where the solution is not always well defined but always considers the customer first
- Present ideas and system improvements to team and customer as needed.
- Reviewing system logs and identifying errors.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and 4+ years of related experience; years of experience can be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Experience with IaC tools such as Terraform.
- Working understanding of Amazon Web Services and cloud computing.
- Ability to apply software development process fundamentals.
- Understanding of DoD compliant security standards.
- Strong, self-motivated desire to learn new programming languages, tools, frameworks, and techniques.
- Ability to complete tasking independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively within a multi-disciplined engineering team.
- Ability to communicate clearly with customers and other team members
- Experience with logging tools such as Splunk, AWS Cloudwatch, or other syslog tools.
- Must have a current SECRET Security clearance
- Current DoD 8570 compliant certification (such as CompTIA Security+ CE).
- Familiarity with basic web technologies including HTML, CSS, XML, REST, JSON, SOAP, and WSDL
- Familiarity with web application technologies, such as Apache Tomcat, JBoss, etc.
- Knowledge of a version control system (e.g., Git).
- Knowledge of Agile Development methodologies.
- Familiarity with multiple operating systems (Mac OSX, Windows, Linux, etc.).
- Familiarity with at least one Relational Database Management System (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.).
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Windows PowerShell and Linux Shell scripts.
- 1-2 years of system administration experience.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.