The Leidos Civil Group is seeking a dynamic Mechanical Engineer to join the National Airspace System Integration Support Contract (NISC IV) team. In this role you will support the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Eastern Service Area (ESA) FAA Terminal Engineering Center in Jamaica, NY in designing, cost estimating, scheduling, engineering, coordination, contracting, installation oversite, inspection, and acceptance of mechanical systems/services as part of the Eastern Service Area (ESA) implementation of a wide variety of NAS Terminal programs and projects, which include HVAC, HVAC controls, chillers, boiler, water distribution, ductwork, plumbing, and fire protection systems. The projects will range over the geographic scope of the ESA and ensure accuracy of design, products, and timeliness of project completion.
- Perform HVAC, HVAC controls, chillers, boiler, water distribution, ductwork, plumbing, and fire protection systems design for FAA Terminal facilities (Air Traffic Control Tower, Terminal Radar Approach Control facilities, etc).
- Perform on-site surveys to develop “to-scale” designs and detailed reports,
- Generate sketches showing relation of proposed installation in existing or new facilities with exact specifications and dimensions.
- Participate in construction inspections and final inspections
- Confer with engineering staff and other personnel to identify and resolve problems with the design or implementation.
- Coordinate design components with a multi-disciplinary as required for site-specific modifications and new construction.
- Prepare Autocad construction drawings and prepare site-specific specifications and contract documents and independent cost estimates.
- Perform project management related tasks and communication (including safety plans, sequence of work, cutover plans).
- Generate and coordinate the Integrated Risk Management Checklists (IRMC), communication plans, project risk register, to meet Operational Risk Management (ORM) requirements.
- Coordinate and complete Work Permits required for potential impact to lead and asbestos that may be encountered during construction.
- Participate in meetings inclusive of the pre-construction meeting and on-site construction meetings with stakeholders to coordinate with other ongoing construction and projects.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate construction project activities to meet milestones and deadlines; working directly with stakeholders and contractors.
- Manage and participate in on-site cutovers, testing and restoration of facilities.
- Prepare, maintain, and provide periodic updates of project to team, management, and stakeholders.
- Manage multiple projects towards successful on-time completion.
- Review contractor design and construction submittals.
- Perform internal design reviews of FAA designed Terminal Engineering projects.
- Track and reconcile and coordinate closure of JAI project exceptions.
- Review project deliverables and provide verbal and written communication to the findings.
- Provide and coordinate timely response for project RFIs (Requests for Information) and project related submittals.
- Monitor progress of projects and stakeholder needs
- Work independently to evaluate, select and apply standard engineering techniques and procedures, using judgement in making adaptations and modifications to Engineering designs
- Must have a Mechanical Engineering Degree from an accredited College/University
- At least 8 years of experience with mechanical systems design including HVAC and plumbing systems with commercial, industrial and/or government facilities
- Must be a Registered Professional Engineer in good standings in the United States
- Must have current and relevant knowledge of building and energy codes in order to be able to perform heating and cooling load calculations, ductwork sizing and layout, piping calculations and distribution, sections/elevations, and equipment sizing and selection.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Engineering Scheduling tools and applications, and be able to use the Internet as a gathering and communicating tool.
- Proficiency with AUTOCAD / MICROSTATION.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and verbal form in person or virtual (via Teams or Zoom)
- Ability to accomplish clear and concise general and technical writing and tactfully coordinate with a variety of project stake holders, peers and management levels.
- Ability to maintain an electronic project folder (as required) related to site preparation and equipment installation problems.
- Ability to provide technical assistance and recommendations regarding the closure of construction related punch-list items.
- Ability to conduct efficient, organized data gathering, and data analysis.
- Ability to develop project plans, establish project schedules, project estimates.
- Ability to provide organized documentation.
- Ability to work independently in a large Engineering Organization
- Basic knowledge of multiple disciplines regarding their general requirements for typical standard types of projects.
- Ability to discuss project related items with stakeholders, contractors and code related Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective January 18, 2022, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.