Leidos has an exciting opportunity for a Technical Writer to support our customer in communications. The position is with the Communications, Knowledge, and Training Team in the Government Health & Safety Solution Group in Windsor Mill, MD (Baltimore). The role supports the End-User Centric IT Support (ECIS) Contract for Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Our program is focused on the delivery of end-user centric IT technology solutions through a seamless development, implementation, and communication experience.
In this role you will:
- Lead and be responsible for communication projects.
- Work collaboratively as part of the Communications, Knowledge, and Training Team and in a matrix environment that includes project managers, IT engineers, and service delivery professionals.
- Work within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a positive, customer-centric, “can do” attitude.
The ideal candidate for the Technical Writer position will have an interest and background in technology, technical writing, and communications. This position will assist, coordinate, and create various types of written content, including such end-user communications as broadcast emails and how-to guides, from pilot to full deployment of IT end user initiatives.
The Technical Writer is part of a multidisciplinary Communications, Knowledge, and Training Team, including technical and content writers, visual and graphic designer, multimedia videographer, knowledge specialist, training specialist, and business analyst. Collaboration with others across the in-house program team is critical, including with project managers, IT specialists and engineers, procurement, document and quality control, service delivery, and service desk. This position includes working with internal program team members and subject matter experts and may also work with the customer, other project partners, and contractors.
Under the direction of the Team Lead (Sr. Technical and Content Writer), you will:
- Writer and edit product and project communications, including end-user and strategic planning communications. End products include, for example, email broadcasts, how-to guides, presentations, signage, posters and banners, intranet content, newsletters, videos, diagrams, FAQs, talking points, and reports.
- Effectively communicate with document authors during the editing process and, when necessary, meet with technical staff to obtain additional information required for the documentation.
- Successfully learn and apply understanding of technical initiatives and processes into Plain Language end-user communication for a variety of content documents.
- Assist with outlines and drafts for review and approval by technical specialists and management, ensuring that final documents meet applicable contract requirements and regulations.
- Consult relevant sources, including subject matter experts, documents (and research), and client and project personnel, to obtain background information and verify pertinent guidelines and regulations governing project deliverables.
- Work successfully within project teams and manage work independently through these processes, including internal and customer review and approval processes.
- Ensure documents meet editorial and government specifications and adhere to standards for quality, graphics, coverage, format and style.
- Bachelor’s degree in writing, technical writing, journalism, mass communications, or closely related discipline.
- 1+ years of experience working on technical writing, communications, content creation, or related areas.
- Ability to capture technical solutions and translate in technical documentation.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong collaboration skills to work in a team across multiple disciplines.
- Ability to research and organize processes in a concise manner.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments.
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
- Ability to work to 508 compliance and Plain Language.
- Awareness of human centered design (HCD) framework.
- Experience working with agile project management, including in Jira and Confluence environments.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.