Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is seeking a Machine Learning Petroleum Engineer to join our Team in Albany, OR, Morgantown, WV, or Pittsburgh, PA. This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The employee will participate in studies relating to model development, workflow, and artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) algorithm design related to geospatial energy and oil & gas industry data. This work will involve a multidisciplinary team participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists to help develop next-generation tools aligned to the priorities of the DOE Fossil Energy and Carbon Management mission space.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, Morgantown, WV or Albany, OR
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Apply artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) methods to generate models and tools relating to subsurface geologic natural and engineered systems.
- Design a variety of supervised and unsupervised AI/ML algorithms after assessing the most effective methods that incorporate big, disparate, multivariate data.
- Correctly and efficiently interpret AI/ML algorithm results.
- Reviewing engineering and production data (i.e., wellbore, wireline, etc.), typically from Offshore wells, to generate models.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary group of science researchers to accomplish project tasks.
- Build relationships with internal and external clients.
- Create and deliver oral and poster presentations of results.
- Effectively communicate scientific results through peer-review journal manuscripts and technical reports.
- Master’s degree in petroleum engineering, reservoir engineering, wellbore engineering, machine learning, data science, math, computational geology, geophysics, geology, physics or similar field .
- Proficiency in code development using Python for advanced analytics, including neural networks, long-short term memory (LSTM), clustering algorithms, natural language processing (NLP) and other Machine Learning approaches with Python libraries including scikit learn, tensor flow, and others to develop AI/ML algorithms and models.
- Experience developing code in an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), documenting code, and committing code to a repository, such as GitHub, BitBucket, or similar.
- Ability to examine & synthesize engineering data related to the oil & gas industry and geological properties. Experience is necessary in petroleum systems including, but not limited to: reservoir, mud logs, logging while drilling, and wireline data .
- Understanding of and experience in subsurface topics .
- Advanced degree and/or certifications petroleum engineering, reservoir engineering, wellbore engineering, machine learning, data science, math, computational geology, geophysics, geology, physics or similar field.
- Background in applications leveraging advanced analytics for energy and environmental systems .
- Familiarity with offshore geological and subsurface data and their interpretation software (Petra, Petrel, etc.).
- Familiarity with image processing algorithms, including LabelIMG and You Only Look Once (YOLO).
- Experience in data labeling approaches to refine and build on current classification capabilities and support AI/ML big data analysis.
- Evidence of substantive participation in subsurface geologic scientific community.
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective January 18, 2022, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.