The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) operates at the leading edge of technology by designing, demonstrating, and deploying Machine Learning (ML) approaches to solve complex remote sensing problems for our Department of Defense customers. We are currently seeking a Machine Learning Research Scientist to work in our Arlington, VA office.
As a ML scientist, you will apply your ML skills to a wide variety of problems and datasets, primarily focused on remote sensing applications (acoustic, RF, and other). You will bring research experience, entrepreneurship, and creativity to our programs. You will interact with customers, lead technical project teams, and spearhead growth in new areas. We are looking for someone to join our team onsite, although we offer flexibility to work from home part-time or have flexible in-office hours.
- Work on and lead interdisciplinary teams to design, develop, and deploy ML algorithms for remote sensing applications
- Keeping up with the latest ML research through literature review and by attending conferences
- Create new project ideas and brief those ideas internally to Leidos and externally to customers
What's in it for you?
- A challenging, fast-paced work environment applying state-of-the-art ML techniques to solve real world problems with unique data sets
- The ability to contribute to critical elements across entire program life cycles (proposal writing, technical planning/execution, creating and presenting technical reports and briefings)
- Professional and technical development opportunities through mentoring programs and full tuition coverage for masters and PhD programs
- A research oriented environment with a small business feel created by an accessible organizational structure
- Opportunities for collaboration across a broad range of technical domains
- BS degree in a scientific field such as computer science, math, data science, physics, or engineering with 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience, Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience or Doctoral degree.
- 1-5 years of practical experience in applying ML to solve complex signal processing problems both as an individual performer and as part of a team
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance
- Experience working and collaborating on multi-disciplinary teams, including leading technical teams and mentoring less experienced scientists
- Proficiency in signal processing algorithms, including time-frequency analysis and digital signal filtering
- Experience using Python, TensorFlow, PyTorch, and Matlab
- DoD Secret Security Clearance
- Master’s Degree with and 6+ years of prior relevant experience or PhD with prior relevant experience
- 5+ years of practical experience applying state-of-the-art ML techniques to signal processing and remote sensing applications
- Track record of research in ML technologies with high impact publications
- Strong fundamentals in mathematics, problem solving and algorithm design
- Understands how to translate customer requirements and mission needs into a research program producing end-to-end solutions
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.