Are you interested in shaping the future of transportation? Leidos is seeking an on-site Transportation Lab Manager to lead our emerging technologies research lab and provide management of both supporting staff and facility. The oversight of a lab and onsite infrastructure includes a fleet of vehicles with automated driving systems, wired and wireless communications to support a variety of existing and prototype hardware, climate-controlled garage for vehicle augmentation, space for the testing of hardware, and space to enable engineers to operate efficiently.
Leidos has created USDOT’s premier research facility, FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL) in McLean, VA, defining the future of transportation and Connected & Automated Vehicles (CAV). The laboratory is a national leader and pioneers new research and technologies to improve transportation operations and safety. Onsite and offsite efforts include novel intersection designs, Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA), vehicle-to-infrastructure communications (V2I), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), spectrum testing, software development, collaboration with industry, deployment, and technology transfer.
An ideal candidate is a self-starter, attentive to details, proactive to customer needs, and is able to problem-solve on the fly. A successful Transportation Lab Manager will be able to work independently, yet is able to efficiently collaborate and develop consensus across programs.
A successful candidate will be customer focused with strong communication skills to perform communication and outreach activities – including coordinating and leading tours for high profile visitors. The research coordinator will develop working knowledge of all ongoing team efforts and equipment, and apply that knowledge in coordination of research activities and resources; both for day-to-day actives and large-scale special events.
This position provides diverse job functions of both technical and managerial in nature, including but not limited to:
• Coordinating all aspects of day-to-day STOL operations.
• Supervise a team of lab and technical specialists.
• Develop and implement plans, schedules, budgets, work efforts, proposals, and procedures.
• Oversee safety assessments, plans, and compliance.
• Act as the daily point of contact (POC) to Government representatives for Lab activities.
• Lead client and guest communications, tours, and demonstrations.
• Manage vehicle and equipment inventory, tracking, documentation, and record keeping (to include development of new/better processes).
• Lead procurement, maintenance, and disposal of operations and testbed facility equipment.
• Ensure full maintenance of all vehicles assigned to STOL.
• Performance tracking, reporting, and communicate accomplishments.
• Proactively coordinate team schedules to ensure asset availability and utilization.
• Coordinating equipment/tools availability for an equipment loan program to offsite users.
• Managing and improving existing operations and develop new support services.
• Produce clear and concise verbal and written communications.
• Lead efficient, effective, and repeatable processes that demonstrates a mature environment.
• Provide technical, lab, and testing support to other team activities onsite and offsite.
Required Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree, or higher.
- A Minimum of 5 years of experience in lab, office, or project management activities.
- Excellent Communication skills, providing efficient briefs to colleagues, staff, and management as needed.
- Effective time management and prioritization of multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Understanding of business, government consulting, and business development.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check
- Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Transportation or similar engineering strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Connected and Automated Vehicles, Intelligent Transportation Systems, and the transportation industry preferred.
- Prior experience as a technical lead preferred.
- Prior experience in IT, networking, data management, artificial intelligence, cyber security, or software development preferred.
- Prior experience in helpdesk services or technical support preferred.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.