Leidos has an excellent opportunity for a Sustaining Engineering Section Manager to work on the Cargo Mission Contract (CMC). This position reports directly to the Engineering Department Manager. In this position, the successful candidate will be responsible for all section planning, organizing, securing and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific program goals and objectives.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to operations, financial, and administrative:
Operations: Manage a team of multi-discipline engineers to support the on-time/early delivery of flight and non-flight hardware in accordance with Manifest Request (MRs) and Request for Support (RFSs). Responsible for coordinating a rapid response when ISS calls down an anomaly with hardware sustained under the CMC contract. Manage engineers in support of the manufacturing, testing, processing, and maintenance of space flight and ground support hardware. Responsible for assigning and tracking hardware processing work, cross utilizing resources to meet multiple internal and external delivery milestones. Responsible for the collection of flight specific objective evidence on hardware processed for a given flight and submission of flight specific Certification of Flight Readiness (CoFR) endorsements to the Engineering Department Manager. Proactively monitor and enforce technical/schedule requirements and make decisive direction as needed to keep the team on track. Monitor inventory levels and part obsolescence. Collaboration with internal customers to ensure the section is working to the current flight priorities. Manage the clear and concise communication to the Engineering Department Manager through Weekly Reporting, staff meetings, ad hoc meetings, and a variety of reporting products. Primary point of contact to both internal and external customers when pertaining to sustaining hardware. Represent the Cargo Mission Contract (CMC) to multiple NASA SPRT board meeting in support of the Cargo Mission Contract’s hardware or processes. Represent the sustaining section during the multiple audits on the contract. Support the program office on stretch assignments in support of on contract growth.
Financial: Responsible for creating the Fiscal Year Work plan which includes the projected plan for labor, materials, and schedule. Manage budgets in accordance with annual work plan and support cross utilization of resources to successfully meet project deadlines and financial constraints. Proactively monitor and adjust labor and material projections to prevent a monthly variance. Responsible for the monthly variance analysis of the sections estimate to actuals. Must clearly be able to explain any variance to the Engineering Department Manager and adjust the projections for the future months. Create Basis of Estimates (BOE) and proposals in support of new work being added to the contract.
Administrative: Leads by example when pertaining to work ethics and professionalism. Must be able to lead diverse teams to collaborate but be able to make a decisive decision as required. Collaborate with the CMC management team to address corrective actions, evaluate/implement process improvements and resolve personnel issues. Responsible for mentoring and training direct reports on products and processes. Ensure compliance on timekeeping practices and corporate training requirements. Responsible for the timely creation and discussion with employees for midterm and year end performance appraisals. Find growth opportunities for high potential employees. Responsible for the creation of multiple products used in support of senior management reviews and customer reviews.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience, with at least 2 years leading teams or projects. An additional 4 years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Requires practical knowledge in processing and handling Flight hardware, technical manufacturing, nonconformance hardware process, workmanship standard, electrical/mechanical test equipment
- Must have a good working knowledge of the NASA organizations and process for the following hardware groups: Batteries, Laptops & Cables, Diagnostics & Tools, Stowage & Restraints, Audio Video, CHeCS, and Crew Provisions
- Above average understanding of ISS Processes for property management, anomaly resolution, configuration management, quality assurance, design, requirements/verification, materials, safety, cargo processing, disposal, manifest, hardware downgrade, toxicology (ie, SSP 41170, SSP 41173, SSP 30233, SSP 50835, SSP 50021, SSP 50200)
- Must be able to read and understand engineering drawings
- Proficiency in the IBM MAXIMO inventory Management and Work Order System version 7.5 or higher
- Proficiency in Sharepoint and report builder
- Experience in planning and tracking the sections labor, material, and product deliverables to both normal or compressed schedules
- Experience working with multi-discipline teams and customers
- Must be able to lead discussion or present technical and financial status to large groups such as internal management boards and technical NASA boards
- Experience in labor/material estimating new work
- Experience in Cost Accounting
- Some level of formal training or certification (Green Belt) for Operational Excellence event (Kaizen, Value Stream Mapping, Just Do It…)
- Advanced proficiency in the IBM MAXIMO inventory Management and Work Order System version 7.5 or higher
- Advanced proficiency in Sharepoint and report builder
Must be able to pass a Public Trust background investigation. Must be U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident due to length of investigation for non-U.S. persons
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective January 18, 2022, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.