Leidos SDA has an immediate opening for a Machine Learning Engineer. Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection and Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers.
Leidos keep our security customers at the leading edge of technology by designing, demonstrating, and deploying Machine Learning (ML) approaches to solve complex remote sensing problems. We are currently seeking a Machine Learning Research Scientist to work in our SDA operation. Emphasis is on research and development with activities ranging from support of early scientific research to transitioning products to production. The opportunity allows for independent work under the guidance of a multidisciplinary team and mentorship from our senior science and technology staff. As a ML scientist, you will apply your ML skills to a wide variety of problems and datasets, primarily focused on security scanning and sensing (chemical, RF, optical, X-ray, and other imaging) applications, including scene recognition and intelligence. Current projects include auto-detection and classification of chemical targets, and real-time scene modeling. You will bring experience, entrepreneurship, and creativity to our programs. You will interact with customers, lead technical projects, and spearhead growth in new areas.
This is a fully remote position. The preference is for this candidate to be locale to Tewksbury MA, Vista CA, or Petersburg FL office locations.
- Work on and lead interdisciplinary teams to design, develop, and deploy ML algorithms for security scanning applications
- Participate in customer briefings
- Create new project ideas and brief those ideas internally to Leidos and externally to customers
- BS degree in a scientific field such as computer science, math, data science, physics, or engineering with 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- 1-5 years of practical experience in applying ML to solve complex signal processing problems
- Experience working and collaborating on multi-disciplinary teams, including leading technical teams and mentoring less experienced scientists
- Proficiency in signal processing algorithms, including time-frequency analysis and digital signal filtering
- Experience using Python, C++, and/or Matlab
- Master’s Degree with and 6+ years of prior relevant experience or PhD with prior relevant experience
- 5+ years of practical experience applying state-of-the-art ML techniques to signal processing and sensing applications
- Track record of research in ML technologies with high impact publications
- Strong fundamentals in problem solving and algorithm design
- Understands how to translate market requirements and mission needs to technology solutions
Pay Range:Pay Range $94,250.00 - $145,000.00 - $195,750.00
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.