Need a change?
In our Albuquerque, NM office we are looking you, our next Senior Laser Optical Engineer to design and perform a variety of electro-mechanical-optical experiments for an applied R&D contract. You will get to work alongside a multi-disciplinary team, in collaboration with Government researchers doing fun experiments primarily in a laboratory with some field testing.
Challenges you will get to work on:
- Perform requirements definition for testbeds and test equipment for a variety of electro/mechanical-optical experiments, based on provided test objectives.
- Design, procure parts for, build, align and calibrate custom testbeds and test equipment.
- Design, procures parts for, build and test instrument control and data acquisition hardware.
- Modify and develop data acquisition tools using software such as LabVIEW.
- Modify and develop data reduction and analysis tools using software such as MATLAB.
- Develop and analysis of optical layouts using ZEMAX.
- Work independently as well as with a team, learn new skills quickly, demonstrate excellent communication and problem solving skills, be organized, detail-oriented, careful, flexible, and self-motivated with a can-do attitude.
This is you:
• Bachelor's degree in electro-optics, physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, systems engineering or equivalent related field with a minimum 14 years of experience or 4 additional years of experience in lieu of degree.
• Must have an active Secret security clearance.
• Experience with the following: operating mechanical-electro-optical equipment such as, sources, detectors, sensors, lasers, and characterization equipment; collecting, analyzing, interpreting data, writing test plans, documenting test results and generating reports; performing computer-based data acquisition and analysis.
• Experience with lasers, sources, optics, electro-optics, detectors, cameras, calibration equipment and diagnostic equipment is required.
• Good computer skills using MS Windows are required, with proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Must have strong mechanical skills, and also possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with advanced adaptive optics systems including building functional demonstrations of a systems used for wavefront sensor comparison under moderately deep turbulence conditions.
• Proficiency in four dimensional interferometers and interferometry software.
• Knowledge of optical fabrication technologies, practices, and limitations.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Experience with MATLAB, LabVIEW, ZEMAX.
• Master’s degree in listed fields.
• Experience is desired in testbed design, build, alignment, and calibration; data acquisition development; and test planning, data collection and test reporting on optical and laser platforms.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.