The Homeland Security Solutions Operation within the Intelligence Group at Leidos currently has an opening for a Data Scientist (DS) to support the DHS Services, Technology, Engineering and Management (STEAM) program. The DS will be a leader of a talented technical team in supporting the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by supporting intelligence efforts with advanced analytics, prototyping tools, creating visualizations, and creating data models.
The DS will be expected to handles raw data (e.g. structured, unstructured, and mixed datasets), and analyze data through the application of various statistical techniques or tools. The DS must be familiar with programming languages such as, but not limited to: R, SAS, Python, MatLab, SQL, Hive, Pig, and Spark. The DS will need to be experienced in working with and exploiting big data, distributed computing, predictive modelling, mathematics, statistics, machine learning, storytelling, and visualization. The DS will regularly extract meaning from and interpret data using a variety of tools and methods from statistics and machine learning, and collect, clean, and mung data in a timely manner as part of a cross-functional team in an intelligence, or related, environment. At the same time, the DS will supervise, manage, and review the work of lower level scientists.
We are looking for a team-oriented, broad thinker that is focused on delivering and supporting the goals of DHS. The DS must provide the leadership and have the interpersonal communication skills necessary to quickly assess, impact, and explain matters with a high degree of technical complexity.
- Identify business opportunities through algorithmic, statistical, visualization, and data mining techniques.
- Plan and execute advanced analytics solutions in conjunction with a qualified technical team. Identify needed resources, create requirements, customer use cases, oversee development, create measurements and tests, and deploy into customer environments.
- Lead the development of the data necessary to execute analytics solutions by collating and cleaning data from various sources to create input datasets.
- Support exploratory data analysis and feature engineering to prepare data for modeling.
- Lead the communication of results to technical and non-technical audiences including senior business leaders.
- Produce and disseminate non-technical reports that detail the successes and limitations of each project.
- Stay informed about developments in Data Science and adjacent fields to ensure that outputs are always relevant.
- Master’s degree in a highly quantitative subject or related field (for example, statistics, mathematics, economics, or related field) and 15 years of experience
- Experience working with data manipulation, analytic/business insight tools, and data visualization experience
- Experience constructing and performing complex database search queries
- Experience/ knowledge of computer science concepts, data architecture, and experience/knowledge of statistics
- Demonstrated experience using statistical and machine learning techniques including supervised and unsupervised learning and natural language processing
- Experience /familiarity with frequentist statistics and probability including predicative modeling
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite, including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, and Word.
- Ability to communicate technical findings to non-technical audiences
- Demonstrate integrity, respect, and a commitment to excellence, collaboration, agility, and diversity
- Experience with front end web development is desired but not required
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.