We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer with an entrepreneur’s mindset to support a fast-paced and growing data science team working on projects critical to National Security. The position is located within a classified space in the Northern Virginia area, and requires an active TS/SCI with Polygraph security clearance.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will work with a cross-functional team of Data Scientists to build state-of-the-art models, automate data pipelines, and develop sustainable data structures for warehousing. You will also engage your soft-skills, communicating complexity to non-technical audiences, mentoring junior teammates, and finding consensus for critical decisions.
No two days are alike. You and your team will react to real-world events to obtain the best possible assessments for the policymakers and warfighters who need them. At the same time, you will be planning, testing, and building the ML-driven apps which will accelerate the customer’s capabilities.
You will work in conditions of technical scarcity that often accompany a classified development environment. You will find workarounds and advocate for new approaches while continuing to drive forward. You will step out of your comfort zone. On a given day, you could brief a simple OLS to a member of Congress or fine-tune the latest transformer model. On some days, you may do the work of a Software Engineer, a Social Science Statistician, or a Cloud Architect. You will be trained in our subject matter, which is inherently human-focused and, therefore, messy. As an Engineer, you will begin to think like an Intelligence Officer!
The Machine Learning Engineer who will succeed in this position is a master ML practitioner and an engineer at heart. We are looking for a thought leader with an impulse to experiment and build. Our ideal candidate will be flexible and adaptable, embracing setbacks and changing requirements with humor and expert-level proficiency.
Teamwork and soft skills are critical to success in this position. The ideal candidate will enjoy working as a member of a tight-knit and hierarchically flat team. The Machine Learning Engineer will jump in to help debug a script without asking, and take an hour to walk a junior teammate through the finer points of hyperparameter selection.
- Extensive experience deploying machine learning models into production in a cloud based environment (AWS preferred)
- At least 2 years direct experience developing and deploying deep learning models
- Expert-level proficiency in at least one scripting language and a desire to code primarily in Python
- Extensive experience with the SciPy stack or similar ML framework
- Experience with at least one modern deep learning framework (ie TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Experience deploying code in containerized environments using Docker and at least one container orchestration service
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying a wide array of data architectures, including data warehouses, data lakes, and standalone relational databases
- Must be a resilient problem-solver, adept at finding creative solutions given limited resources and tight deadlines
- Typically requires BS degree and 12-15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10-13 years of prior relevant experience.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph is mandatory
- Full stack development experience; including preference for modern java script frameworks such as React, Angular, or Vue
- Proficiency working with transformer and LSTM-based NLP models
- Technical leadership experience with a track record of quality, on-time deployment
- Experience with NoSQL and graph database architectures
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.