The Leidos Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, Explosives (CBRNE) and Training Portfolio has an Analytical Chemist position open. The candidate will provide technical support in delivering services and development efforts supporting the Combat Capabilities Development Command Chemical Biological Center (DEVCOM CBC) and will function as an analytical chemist to work with toxic industrial chemicals, toxic industrial materials, chemical warfare agents and other threat agents via Tandem Gas Chromatography-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry (TOFMS). Analyses are conducted for characterizing synthesis routes and determining physical and physicochemical properties in order to support basic and applied research and development efforts.
The Analytical Chemist will work individually and as an integrated team member on multiple projects funded by DEVCOM CBC. Efforts include sample preparation, analysis, data review and validation, and technical report development.
- Executes analytical methods and studies using a variety of technologies
- Analyzes energetics and other materials for stability, chemical and physical characteristics.
- Develops new or finds existing methods for same.
- Assists in writing specifications and SOPs pertaining to military requirements.
- Preparation of active and passive vapor samplers to include conditioning, packing, and operation.
- Targeted and non-targeted data analysis for projects using various analytical equipment for detection and quantification of single compound chemicals to differential analysis of chemical groups.
- Communicates with Government Principle Investigator on project requirements and executes project assignments with minimal oversight.
- Prepare documentation and test reports.
- Ph.D. Degree in Environmental Chemistry or Analytical Chemistry with a minimum of 3-years’ experience in operating analytical laboratory equipment
- Experience in non-targeted analysis of complex matrices using Tandem GC-TOFMS.
- Demonstrated experience in utilizing Agilent MassHunter, Leco ChromaTof, and Gerstel Maestro data acquisition systems
- Experience in chromatographic method development and validation
- Experience with commercial off the shelf thermal desorption systems
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal relationship skills
- Demonstrated willingness to work with toxic chemical compounds
- Deep domain knowledge and understanding of analytical concepts, principles, and theories related to organic and inorganic chemical analyses and experiments and ability to solve complex analytical problems presented during analyses of difficult media and target chemical / compounds.
- Can effectively support methods development and method validation for novel analytical methods and techniques.
- Must have Department of Defense (DoD) Secret Clearance.
- Strong technical report writing skills
- Experience in working with chemical warfare agents or other similar toxic chemicals / compounds
- Experience in working multiple projects at the same time
- Knowledge and understanding of using other analytical instruments such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) for chemical identification and characterization.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.