Leidos has an opening for a Facility Safety Engineer in Cleveland, Ohio. The Safety Engineer will perform process safety activities in support of the Glenn Research Center (GRC) test operations in Cleveland and Sandusky, Ohio. GRC test facilities contain complex process and mechanical systems with varying degrees of hazards. The process safety engineer will act as a resource to center operations and work closely with facility engineers and test system operators. He or she must have broad industrial and process safety experience and a desire to apply engineering skills and experience to assure the safety of R&D personnel and test facilities. The ability to analyze complex systems and operational procedures to identify potential hazardous scenarios is required. Must be willing and able to communicate issues and concerns to technical teams and management.
Areas of support include:
- Pressure system safety (vessels, piping, relief systems, instrumentation, and controls)
- Process Hazard Analysis
- Process Safety Management (OSHA PSM)
- Fuel, oxidizer, and cryogenic system safety.
Duties include the following:
- Review the designs of new or modified test facilities and systems for safe operation. Review multi-discipline design drawings for all elements of operational and related facility safety and report findings and recommendations.
- Participate in design reviews and engineering review board meetings. Provide input on safety compliance and best practices.
- Perform assessments of test facilities and operations considering OSHA regulations, National Consensus Standards such as ASME, NFPA, ANSI, CGA and API, and the GRC Safety and Occupational Health manuals.
- Review of GRC central systems operations including combustion air, altitude exhaust and service air compressors and associated piping and drying and cooling equipment.
- Review of GRC cryogenic fuel and oxidizer handling and storage including small scale and bulk liquid hydrogen and oxygen systems.
- Review test facility process hazard analyses (PHA), comment on and provide guidance on specific PHAs, as well as methodologies.
- Facilitate PHAs and support center improvement of test system PHAs as a resource
- Support Process Safety Management of covered processes or similar effort in other facilities
- Process safety support to the GRC Pressure Systems Manager
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Chemical or Mechanical preferred). Other technical disciplines with process safety and operations experience will be considered. Formal training in process hazard analysis is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a combination of process design, plant or R&D operations, and process safety.
- An engineering and or technical background in various process, utility, industrial and or mechanical systems and an understanding of associated hazards and risk assessment methodology. Experience in design of process systems including piping, pressure vessels, and inline components such as valves and instrumentation, relief valve sizing and application, and control systems.
- Experience with systems and processes similar to those at GRC is helpful. These include aerospace testing such as wind tunnels, engine test facilities, propulsion system testing, fuel and oxidizer flow, cryogenics, large scale vacuum, chemical, and steam systems.
- Implementation of OSHA 1910.119, Process Safety Management and experience facilitating process hazard analyses using multiple methodologies.
- A good working knowledge of OSHA regulations and National Consensus Standards including ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel and Piping codes, API Recommended Practices, and NFPA standards.
- Attitude and ability to establish a good working relationship with test facility teams and to be a valued technical resource for process safety.
Must be able to pass a Public Trust background investigation. Must be U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident due to length investigation for non-U.S. persons
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.