We are seeking a motivated and talented algorithm scientist to join a machine learning algorithm development team and participate with hands-on contributions to advanced real-time detection and computer vision algorithms, and supporting software infrastructure. You will be involved in the development of computer vision, image processing, and deep learning algorithms for our real-time airport personnel and baggage scanning products. You will be working on algorithms for multi-view 2-d and 3-d volumetric detection of prohibited items concealed on passengers or in their baggage. We have thousands of scanners in daily operation around the world on which your algorithms will be deployed.
While this position will have the opportunity to telework much of the time, local candidates are strongly preferred.
- Contribute to a team that is developing object detection and image processing system architectures that will be implemented in real-time decision processes in security screening systems fielded across the world
- Hands on research and development of advanced deep learning, object detection, image processing, and scene segmentation algorithms.
- Utilize real-time coding methods, architectures and languages to implement advanced algorithms as highly optimized production quality code
- Design and implement new algorithms and improve existing algorithms in C++ and Python class structure using good software engineering techniques with emphasis on reusability and efficiency.
- Train machine learning classifiers with emphasis on classifier generalization
- Analyze data, make recommendations, write technical reports
- Interface with other software teams to integrate algorithms with external software components.
- May require occasional travel (5%), domestic or international, to assist with data collections
- BS/MS in computer science/engineering in a related subject such as data science, computer vision, machine learning or AI.
- 8 years industry and/or research experience developing algorithms in one or more of the following areas: image/radar/video processing, computer vision, machine learning, or deep learning.
- Expert in PyTorch with at least 3 years experience in development for computer vision
- Experience designing machine learning algorithms, including creating software for data loading, training, and inference for novel machine learning architectures
- 3 years experience in image processing techniques (filtering, segmentation, edge detection, object detection)
- Experience profiling and optimizing real-time algorithm runtime
- Algorithm prototyping and performance evaluation in Python
- Strong math, analytical and communication skills
- Must have positive, team focused attitude and approach to work tasks.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US secret security clearance, which requires US Citizenship. We are unable to sponsor visas for this position and require applicants to be either a US citizen or a permanent resident (Green Card holder)
- PhD in computer science/engineering in a related subject such as computer vision, machine learning or AI
- 3 years experience developing deep learning computer vision algorithms using CNNs, GANs, Transformers, Single and Two-stage detectors.
- 5 years machine learning classifier development experience including approaches to use limited data to train and validate generalizable classifiers
- Strong understanding of supervised, semi-supervised and self-supervised machine learning
- 2 years C++ development in a scientific software development environment
- Familiarity with image reconstruction algorithms
- Experience with Windows and Linux development environments including writing Perl and shell scripts
- Familiarity with Azure and Git
- Basic knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum (x-ray/radar) and related technologies.
- Current US secret security clearance
Our Tewksbury office is a diverse and collaborative environment, only a short commute from downtown Boston and Nashua. We offer flexible work arrangements and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, exciting referral programs, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2021, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the fourth consecutive year.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection and Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.