We are seeking a motivated and talented Senior Algorithm Scientist to join our algorithm development team and participate with hands-on contributions to advanced real-time detection, computer vision algorithms, machine learning and supporting software infrastructure. You will be involved in the development of computer vision, image processing, and machine learning algorithms for several for our real-time airport security scanning systems. You will be working on algorithms for 3-d volumetric detection of prohibited items concealed on passengers or in their baggage. We have thousands of scanners in daily operation around the world on which your algorithms will be deployed!
- Contribute to a team that is developing object detection and image processing system architectures that will be implemented in real-time decision processes in aviation security screening systems fielded across the world.
- Hands on research and development of advanced image processing / analysis, object detection, machine learning and scene segmentation algorithms.
- Implement production quality real-time C++ software for sophisticated computer vision and machine learning algorithms; primarily for detecting threat objects in 3-d volumetric x-ray data.
- Design and implement new algorithms and improve existing algorithms in C++ class structure using good software engineering techniques with emphasis on reusability and efficiency.
- Train machine learning classifiers with emphasis on classifier generalization.
- Assist with the development of new machine learning algorithms to improve the detection performance for challenging threats.
- Analyze data, make recommendations, and write technical reports.
- Interface with other software teams to integrate algorithms with external software components.
- May require occasional travel (5%), domestic or international, to assist with data collections as well as support for certification.
- BS/MS in computer science/engineering in a related subject such as data science, computer vision, machine learning, algorithm development including advanced image processing.
- 8 years' industry and/or research experience developing algorithms in one or more of the following areas: image/video processing, computer vision, radar, advanced machine learning.
- 5 years’ experience in image processing techniques (filtering, segmentation, edge detection, object detection).
- 3 years machine learning classifier development experience.
- 5 years C++ software development in an engineering product environment.
- Expert in Matlab / Python with at least 3 years’ experience in algorithm prototyping / development for computer vision.
- Experience designing machine learning algorithms, including creating software for data loading, training, and inference for novel ML architectures.
- Experience with product quality software development including profiling and optimizing real-time algorithm runtime.
- Strong math, analytical and communication skills.
- Must have positive, team focused attitude and approach to work tasks.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US secret security clearance, which requires US Citizenship. We are unable to sponsor visas for this position and require applicants to be either a US citizen or a permanent resident (Green Card holder).
- PhD in computer science/engineering in a related subject such as computer vision, machine learning or advanced image processing based algorithm development.
- 5 years strong understanding of advanced computer vision / image processing / segmentation, pattern recognition, classification.
- 5 years machine learning classifier development experience including approaches to use data sets to train and validate generalizable classifiers.
- Experience with Windows and Linux development environments including writing Perl and shell scripts.
- Basic knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum (x-ray/radar) and related technologies.
- Current US secret security clearance.
Our St. Pete office is a diverse and collaborative environment, just steps away from white sand beaches ranked #1 in US and Top 5 worldwide by TripAdvisor! We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, flexible work arrangements, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, exciting referral programs, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2021, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the fourth consecutive year.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection and Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.