Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we conduct business.
Your greatest work is ahead!
We are in search of a Director of Hardware Engineering to join our team. Our ideal candidate is comfortable with electrical and mechanical design, industrial design, RF & X-Ray systems, systems engineering, and even firmware development. They thrive in an intense, dynamic environment, and are happy to engage in a hands-on leadership role, applying a highly analytical mindset and strong problem-solving skills to their work. The Director of Hardware engineering will also oversee adherence to quality documentation requirements within the hardware design team. The Director of Hardware Engineering is a key member of the team and will have a large impact on the company’s products and success.
Leidos Security Detection & Automation (SD&A) operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully-integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world. Our operation has more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leveraging this portfolio, our core technical strengths, and robust R&D initiatives, we are positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers.
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career, share your resume with us today!
- Lead hardware engineering teams (EE, ME, embedded systems) in defining, designing, and developing products for aviation security applications.
- Organizational experience partnering with global leaders, HR and recruiting to develop and execute on a strategy to attract, retain and develop top talent and role model leadership best practices. Recruit and develop great people; continually raising the bar.
- Set priorities within the department and align those priorities with the company’s broader vision/mission.
- Develop budget proposals for staffing and ensure the efficient and effective operation of the hardware department within cost requirements.
- Own hardware execution from inception through end of life.
- Drive alignment across cross-functional teams in hardware engineering, product management, systems, software, program management and operations to meet program objectives and ensure user experience, product cost, manufacturability, quality and go-to-market strategies are met.
- Ensure standardization of processes across multiple projects.
- Interfacing with other engineering managers, product management, and program management to drive new product development programs from concept to production.
- Scope, manage, and deliver multiple technical projects in parallel from concept to production.
- Balance short-term priorities with long-term vision.
- Evaluating and identifying improvements to the overall design processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical discipline. Master’s Degree+ preferable. Eight (8) years’ experience in analysis, evaluation, design and development of large scale equipment or systems.
- Track record and demonstrated leadership experience in developing and launching complex products / capital equipment to market.
- Collaboration and relationship-building experience, working with all levels of management and individual contributors internally and externally.
- Extensive experience with industrial & mechanical design using CAD software (e.g., SOLIDWORKS), including ability to generate complex assemblies, 2-D & 3-D drawings with tolerances, and schematics. Must have experience beyond 3D printing.
- Extensive experience with electronics design, including component selection, schematic generation, PCB layout with software tools like Altium, as well as laboratory testing.
- Familiarity with dFMEA, pFMEA, and reliability analysis.
- Strong leadership skills, excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and team building skills.
- Project management experience, including ability to manage short-term priorities without losing sight of long-term goals.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are required for effective interface with all internal and external contacts. Position requires strong presentation skills in front of high-level government officials and internal Senior Management.
- May require occasional travel (5%), domestic or international.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US secret security clearance, which requires US Citizenship. We are unable to sponsor visas for this position and require applicants to be either a US citizen or a permanent resident (Green Card holder).
- Working knowledge of low-noise sensors, radar systems, and x-ray systems a plus.
- Basic knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum and related technologies.
- Current US secret security clearance.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.