Leidos is looking for a Sr. Telecommunications Engineer to join our team in our Anchorage, Alaska office. This ideal candidate will provide support for the FAA Weather Camera Program, Site Operations efforts across the state of Alaska.
The FAA Weather Camera Program is a critical service offered to pilots and utilized by commercial aviation, general aviation, and Flight Service to improve pilot weather awareness , improve preflight no no-go decisions, and give pilots additional tools to make better “go / no-go” decisions.
The successful candidate will plan and coordinate closely with the customer and team to accomplish the following in support of the FAA Weather Camera Program, Site Operations and Infrastructure:
- set project priorities,
- develop project plans,
- develop schedules and coordinate with field technician teams.
- Perform planning and engineering in support of telecommunication systems, electronic systems, site hardware infrastructure.
- Design, modify, or upgrade networks
- Develop drawings and specifications for utility telecommunication system projects
- Create bills of materials for telecommunication equipment; obtain quotes and identify all materials
- Coordinate with other internal engineering departments, external contractors, and construction crews
- Analyzes effects of projects upon various areas such as Engineering, Facilities, and the labor pool to determine the most practical and cost-efficient methods to obtain the required resources.
Essential skill list:
- Experience leading a team and working in remote environments. While this position will not be traveling, they will need to fully understand the conditions of the teams in the field.
- Understanding and experience with the unique communications environment in Alaska, as well as varied communications infrastructure across the country.
- Experience in Windows and non-Windows operating systems, systems maintenance and management.
- Experience and understanding of best practices and information technology security concepts.
- Networking (netmasks, routing, port forwarding, firewall access control lists) and how to manipulate the network stack in linux.
- Troubleshooting skills for diagnosing failures with electronic equipment at remote sites.
- General knowledge of Cloud Computing concepts and docker containers, github and software version control.
- Basic electronics knowledge (voltage/amperage/watts calculations)
- SQL database concepts and the ability to write simple SQL queries and updates
- Ability to be “on call” on some weekends and after hours
- Linux (ubuntu flavored) systems administration general tasks, shell scripting, cron, ntp, systemd services, ssh, basic security.
- Familiar with the remote nature of Alaska Cameras and working environments.
Qualifications Bachelor's degree in related field and 4+ years of relevant experience in Communication Systems, Electronics Troubleshooting, Electronic Testing Design and Project Management. Familiar with Alaskan / Remote work environments.
Experience with FAA electronic communications system is highly desired.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.