Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Your greatest work is ahead!
We are in search of a Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Research Scientist who will conduct applied research in support of the National Energy Technology Laboratory’s (NETL) Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC) program and serve as a lead for others in the research area.
Research efforts will focus primarily on:
- Electrode engineering technology
- Examination of electrode degradation processes
- Fundamental reaction and transport measurements
The researcher will design and conduct experiments, complete literature surveys and generate or support generation of review frameworks and research papers, all the while collaborating in an integrated research team environment.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Location: Morgantown, WV
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Manufacture electrodes by utilizing conventional and advanced ceramic processing methods in conjunction with various team efforts to understand electrode reaction and degradation mechanism, and for input into degradation models.
- Develop tailored materials and methods for electrode nano-engineering at a button cell scale and evaluate at the commercial stack scale to ensure proper performance and sufficient potential for continued development.
- Long-duration exposure tests coupled with detailed ex-situ spectroscopy and electron microscopy to examine degradation arising from inherent impurities.
- Characterize electrochemical properties and composition of novel electrodes and electrocatalysts. The characterization of these materials will aid in materials selection and inform the long term SOFC degradation models being developed at NETL.
- PhD in a relevant engineering or science discipline.
- Skilled in conducting laboratory experiments and expertise in conventional techniques of electrochemical performance testing (e.g. cyclic voltammetry, V-I curve generation, Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy, Ionic Conductivity, and Electrical Conductivity Relaxation).
- Experience in ceramic processing such as powder synthesis, tape casting, screen printing, and sintering, including materials selection. Also, experience in wet chemistry methods.
- Strong understanding and experience with electrochemical cell operation.
- Skilled in microstructure analysis such as scanning electron microscopy (SEM).
- Experience in designing and constructing experimental setups.
- The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills and demonstrable experience completing research in a collaborative/team environment.
Leidos Civil Group helps modernize infrastructure, systems, and security. We are a trusted partner to both government and highly regulated commercial customers looking for transformative solutions in mission IT, security, software, engineering, and operations. We work with our customers including the FAA, DOE, NASA, National Science Foundation, Transportation Security Administration, Custom and Border Protection, airports, and electric utilities to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. To explore and learn more, click here!
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career, share your resume with us today!
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.