Leidos is seeking a talented Solution Train Engineer (STE) to facilitate Solution Train and Agile Release Train (ART) operations for a several hundred person program using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). This growing program currently employs a Solution Train and two ARTS. The STE will help plan and facilitate stand-up and integration of a third ART. Our STE helps our Release Train Engineers (RTEs) monitor performance, manage change, resolve impediments and drive relentless improvement.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience leading agile teams and wishes to grow into the next leadership role as a Solution Train Engineer. Strong communication skills, flexibility, and persistence are a must. Program execution follows DEVOPS best practices and employs robust development, test and production environments. We are using Behavior Driven Development (BDD) and test automation tools alongside a full suite of team collaboration tools.
Leidos is the prime contractor providing system engineering, development, test, integration, and operational support. This new 5 year program is focused on injecting new technology and adding advanced capabilities while continuing to support an on-going mission and operational system.
- Work with the SAFe governance layer participants & stakeholders on program execution
- Facilitate allocation of work and new resources to ARTs
- Monitor program performance; resolve impediments; develop and implement solutions for driving improvement
- Coordinate schedule execution and plan program-wide software/architecture releases
- Lead/facilitate Program Increment (PI) Planning, including logistics and technical preparation
- Lead/facilitate Solution Train planning events and pre- and post- planning meetings
- Lead/facilitate cross-team collaboration within program via Scrum of Scrums meetings and other less formal forums in support of development, testing, and deployment efforts
- Track the execution of features and capabilities through Metrics across program’s agile and DevOps teams
- Brief customers on the development progress throughout the PI cycle on program status, including the status of testing, deployment, and release readiness
- Assess skillset needs and collaborate with leadership to staff program openings
- Provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks
- Coach teams, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and Project/Program Leaders in agile practices
- Promote teamwork to achieve PI goals
- Guide teams towards agile maturity
- Foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and Built-In Quality practices
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of relevant experience required. Degree in a technical field is preferred but not required. Additional experience may be substituted for a Degree.
- Five (5) or more years of experience working with large software development, systems integration and test efforts
- Five (5) or more years of experience leading teams or projects
- Possess active TS/SCI with polygraph security clearance
- Demonstrated experience as Scrum Master
- Demonstrated experience as either Release Train Engineer or Solution Train Engineer
- Demonstrated experience applying SAFe
- Ability to understand technical concepts and communicate them effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working with an Agile software development team, managing project deadlines (ideally in a Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Development Lead role)
- Experience briefing leadership and/or customers of key status and project progression
- Experience communicating with and briefing status to external stakeholders, including customer/government representatives
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM), SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) or similar agile project management certification (PMI-ACP) required
- Experience using agile project management tools (e.g. Jira, VersionOne, Rally, IBM ELM)
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment across diverse systems and groups
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Must have the ability to manage time extremely well and quickly sense when an issue needs to be addressed or triaged
- Strong attention to detail and focus on task completion is critical
- Past experience as Solution Train Engineer
- Significant technology experience in software development, test, or systems engineering such that a candidate could qualify on the program as a participant engineer as either a developer, tester, or systems engineer
- Previous Release, Project, or Program Management experience
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary development teams
- Experience using SAFe as the agile development methodology including experience participating in a Program Increment Planning session
- A Scaled Agile certification such as SAFe Agilist (SA), SAFe RTE, or others
- Experience in any part of the software development lifecycle - as a developer, tester, analyst, product manager, project/program manager, etc.
- Experience applying test automation, test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment to achieve built-in quality by the team
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.