The Leidos Defense Group may have an opening for a Technical Writer with technical training experience to support the Navy e-learning training program. In this project, Leidos, in partnership with prime contractor Fluor Marine Propulsion (FMP) LLC works with Naval Training and Simulation (NTS) to develop and maintain technical manuals with materials provided by Navy, Government civilian, and contractor subject matter experts. The technical manuals produced are used in three broad areas: Simulations, Fleet Training (primarily technical training), and support for Naval training schools. PLEASE NOTE THIS REQUISITION HAS BEEN OPENED IN THE EXPECTATION OF FUTURE EMPLOYMENT. IT IS NOT BASED ON ANY CURRENT VACANCIES.
This position develops and maintains technical manuals used for multiple applications. The successful applicant will write and revise these manuals and will also have the skills to create or modify graphics that will be included in the manuals, such as engineering drawings, electronic schematics, and block diagrams. This project provides Lifecycle Support, Long-term Improvements, New Development, and Training Manual Support.
- Will be a professional proficient in preparing, reviewing, and revising technical
- Will have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in the field of Technical Writing
or equivalent discipline with five (5) years of professional experience or
equivalent combined education/experience.
- Will work with NNL subject matter experts to acquire or verify knowledge of
- Will write in clear and concise language.
- Will be proficient with Microsoft Office tools including Word.
- Will be proficient in PTC Arbortext Editor, Mathflow, and Adobe Illustrator,
Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Will be proficient in NTS custom SGML Toolset and stylesheets.
- Will be proficient in use of NTS custom XML Toolset and associated
- Will be proficient in use of Mathflow and custom NTS templates.
- Will be proficient in use of NTS Hover Text plug-in to Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Will be proficient in NTS graphic drawing requirements.
- Must have active or current final U.S. Secret security clearance before starting work. We strongly prefer candidates with active or current clearances but will consider opening background investigations for outstanding candidates whose clearance statuses are listed as inactive at this time.
- Familiarity with Navy technical training is a plus.
- Experience developing technical training courses for any branch of the Armed Forces is a plus.
- Successful candidate will be a self-starter who is able to work as a member of a virtual team at several geographically dispersed locations.
- Active or current U.S. Government security clearance (DoD Secret or above or DoE L or above) is a plus.
- Experience with cross-functional training is a plus.
- Ability to assess and verify technical data is a plus.
- Successful candidate must have strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with reading, interpreting, and creating engineering drawings is a plus.
- Ability to interpret and draw electronic schematics and block diagrams is a plus.
- Experience developing bills of materials (BOMs) for manufacturing environments is a plus.
- Ability to develop and write maintenance and repair instructions based on reviews of technical manuals, engineering drawings and schematics / block diagrams is a plus.
- Experience or background as a Technology Education or Industrial Arts teacher is a plus.
- Successful candidate must have outstanding attention to detail and be prepared for their work to be scrutinized through multiple stages of review.
- Experience gained with NTS Hover Text and graphic drawing through previous employment at NNL is a plus.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.