The Leidos Corporation was selected by the National Science Foundation (NSF) as the Prime Contractor for supporting U.S. research sites in Antarctica. The Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) program team is based in Centennial, Colorado and is funded by the United States National Science Foundation (NSF).
Leidos is looking for a Fire Protection Engineer, who will be part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) team and will provide engineering for Fixed Fire Safety Systems (FFSS) at all US Antarctic Program locations. This role includes design of FFSS and will play a key role engineering optimal and risk appropriate fire protection systems for facilities and project engineering. Additionally, this role will be key in optimization of preventative and predictive maintenance of FFSS, developing and supporting system upgrade projects, establishing the economic maintenance strategy and taking an active role in the ASC FFSS work permitting process.
The successful candidate is expected to deploy yearly to Antarctica for 2 to 3 months yearly. This position is comprised of both office work and field work supporting FFSS at USAP locations.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Provide technical guidance on the design, installation, maintenance, and modification of all FFSS
- Acceptance testing and approval of industrial fire protection project installations
- Develop requirements for professional engineering consulting services in support of design of projects and sustaining of current infrastructure
- Review and ensure ASC interests are fully addressed on fire safety provisions of the adopted Antarctic Code
- Advise and assist leadership for the purposes of safeguarding life and property against fire, explosion and related hazards
- Perform studies of buildings with various occupancy classifications and other property before and after construction
- Provide peer review of designs and work plans
- Support the ASC FFSS permitting process
- Provide technical concurrence for all ASC FFSS work permits
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes and standards
- Perform other duties as assigned
This position reports to Leidos ASC Facilities management and works within an integrated management team of Leidos and subcontract employees.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in a fire protection discipline, with 9 years of professional experience or 7 years of professional experience with a related Master’s degree.
- Licensed fire protection engineer in the US
- Knowledge of industry codes and standards
- Field experience including managing field changes, quality control, redlining drawings, and other activities supporting successful work completion
- Communicates professionally, both orally and in writing, to relay information
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
- Current United States Passport
- Supports an diverse and inclusive work environment fostering openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and job satisfaction
- Available to take calls outside of normal working hours
- Proactively identify any unsafe conditions or hazards and communicate them effectively
- Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure
- US citizenship or permanent residence is required
- Experience planning and executing projects in remote and logistically challenging locations
- NICET certifications desired
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
- Deployment to Antarctica is required in this position—deployment is contingent upon successful completion of the NSF physical qualification (PQ) process.
- Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,900.00 - $126,000.00 - $170,100.00
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.