***100% telework is temporarily authorized due to COVID-19 restrictions. Once restrictions have been lifted this position will be based in either Pittsburgh, PA or Morgantown, WV.***
The Leidos Civil Group is seeking a Mid-Level/Senior Engineer for its role on the Mission Execution and Strategic Analysis (MESA) contract for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). NETL is a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technical-oriented national laboratory. NETL produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled women and men at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, OR, Morgantown, WV, and Pittsburgh, PA – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
The position will support NETL in the conduct of a broad range of process and cost engineering (PCE) systems and analysis studies across the following areas:
- Technologies for power generation (current commercial fossil-based offerings through future notional technology embodiments); co-conversion of multiple fossil fuels and biomass; hydrogen generation; capturing carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions from power and non-power sources.
- Optimizing the design and operation of complex technologies and systems through rigorous modeling to increase efficiency, lower costs, increase revenue, improve sustainability, and enable deep decarbonization.
Examples of these analyses include: (1) assessing laboratory-scale research within the context of application at a commercial plant; (2) evaluating the impact of new and/or proposed legislation on power generation at large; (3) interacting with power generation technology vendors and developers; (4) engaging with power generation community stakeholders (e.g., utilities, institutions, research organizations and laboratories); and (5) many other pathways.
The successful candidate will work on local and geographically dispersed teams with other engineers, scientists, technicians, subject matter experts, faculty members, post-doctoral students, and graduate and undergraduate students from various socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds. The candidate will attend regular and ad hoc meetings and contribute to the development of written reports, journal articles, and presentations on findings and innovative solutions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, or similar degree, and 8 years prior relevant experience; or a Master's Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, or similar, with 6 years or prior relevant experience.
- Prior relevant experience should be focused in energy systems analysis, with an emphasis on: (1) Aspen Plus process simulation software; (2) power systems cost estimating; (3) natural gas combined cycle plants; (4) natural gas processing systems and plants; (5) pulverized coal power plants, and; (6) CO2 capture (pre- and post-combustion, negative emission technologies) and utilization.
- Aspen Plus is the primary process engineering modeling platform utilized. A successful candidate will possess experience (e.g., formal educational training and/or practical industrial experience) in the use of Aspen Plus and related sub-packages. In lieu of Aspen Plus experience, cursory familiarity with Aspen platforms and specific experience with other similar types of analysis tools (e.g., PRO/II, Fluent, MFIX, ChemCad, Thermoflow, or others) will be considered.
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, able to take initiative, work well both independently and as a member of a team, and able to balance competing and changing priorities. They will demonstrate competency in scientific and engineering modeling and analysis tools applicable to the specific tasks. They will also possess strong analytical and oral/written communications skills, particularly the ability to:
- Analyze and interpret data generated from research, apply data to analysis within the context of scope and direction, and clearly report results;
- Author and/or co-author reports, manuscripts, and articles suitable for inclusion in refereed journals, and;
- Present research results in client meetings and in conference settings.
A successful candidate will possess experience (e.g., formal educational training and/or practical industrial experience) in the use of the following desirable tools:
- Modeling languages (e.g., Pyomo, AMPL, GAMS)
- Specialized software (e.g., ABB Velocity Suite, PROMOD, gPROMS, MATLAB, Tableau)
- Programming languages (e.g., FORTRAN, R, Python, C++, Visual Basic)
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.