Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
An opportunity exists within the RSS Contract at National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL)-Pittsburgh to join an interdisciplinary team characterizing CH4 emissions from natural gas infrastructure. Current CH4 emissions measurement efforts are focused on abandoned O&G wells, natural gas gathering pipelines, metering, and regulating stations, and natural gas storage wells (specifically, storage well blowout events). The team seeks a candidate with a strong background in EPA methodology such as the following: EPA Other Test Method (OTM) 33A, Geospatial Measurement of Air Pollution, Remote Emissions Quantification – Direct Assessment is a plus. Familiarity with the U.S. EPA Greenhouse Gas Inventory structure and sources of data, particularly regarding emissions from the oil and natural gas sector.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Assisting NETL staff to obtain cooperation from natural gas operators and/or landowners to secure site access agreements for field campaigns; Designing field campaigns for determination of emission rates from natural gas infrastructure in multiple regions; Collecting, recording, and analyzing CH4 concentration/emission rate and meteorological data.
- Preparing quarterly progress reports and internal presentations on project progress.
- Disseminating results via journal articles and national conference presentations.
- Publications in high quality scientific peer-reviewed journals, presentations at national and international technical meetings.
- Development of new intellectual property based on the innovative research.
- Period status reporting and project reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and clients.
- This position will require extensive interface with clients and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- A successful applicant will have a M.S. degree in in Atmospheric Sciences/Atmospheric Chemistry/Environmental Engineering/Meteorology or related degree with demonstration of the skills or a related field of study with relevant technical experience.
- 2+ years of experience in field monitoring (planning and executing field campaigns, collecting field-based environmental data and subsequent analysis).
- First authorship of posters/presentations at national conferences and/or peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Skilled in using programming language such as Matlab or Python.
- Experience in dispersion modeling (e.g. Gaussian plume modeling) and statistical data analyses of environmental data.
- Ph. D degree in in Atmospheric Sciences/Atmospheric Chemistry/Environmental Engineering/Meteorology.
- Post-doctoral experience in a government-owned national laboratory is desired.
- Experience with using ambient air monitoring analytical instruments (e.g. Los Gatos UGGA) including calibration, repair, and troubleshooting.
- Experience with using meteorological instruments (e.g. 3D ultrasonic anemometers that measure wind parameters) including calibration, repair, and troubleshooting.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.