Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Your greatest work is ahead!
An opportunity exists within the RSS Contract at National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL)-Pittsburgh to join an interdisciplinary team participating in the research and development of advanced data analytics methods applied to energy infrastructure sensing applications, with an emphasis on natural gas infrastructure. NETL is a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technical-oriented national laboratory and the U.S. Department of Energy’s primary lab supporting fossil fuel-based energy research. The scientist/researcher will collaborate on an interdisciplinary team spanning industry, academic, and national laboratory partners that seeks to develop and demonstrate advanced sensors and enabling technologies for energy infrastructure monitoring applications.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop physics-based models for understanding mechanical and structural failures of natural gas infrastructure and for accelerated training of AI and ML models.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to develop Multiphysics-based models for experimental and field tests.
- Field validation will ultimately be conducted for data collection.
- Research within the team to identify and apply advanced data analytics methods to characterize and classify spatial, temporal, and frequency dependent features of optical fiber based distributed sensing data.
- Utilize artificial intelligence and advanced data analytics methods for predictive monitoring of incipient failures within the natural gas infrastructure by leveraging distributed optical fiber sensing.
- The researcher will also have opportunities to engage in data analytics for wireless sensor technology platforms and other energy infrastructure, including subsurface monitoring.
- Publications in high quality scientific peer-reviewed journals, presentations at national and international technical meetings.
- Development of new intellectual property based on the innovative research.
- Period status reporting and project reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and clients.
- This position will require extensive interface with clients and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- At least a M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics, Materials Engineering, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field and 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge of multi-physics modeling and finite element modeling for mechanical, structural, and other properties of infrastructure failures.
- Experience with development and application of advanced data analytics methods (e.g. artificial intelligence, principle component analysis, neural networks, machine learning, big data analytics) using custom developed algorithms or commercially available software packages.
- An interest in intelligent techniques for energy infrastructure monitoring and sensing.
- Experience with high performance computing environments, tools, and applications.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives is also highly desired.
- Ph.D. degree is preferred, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics, Materials Engineering, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering. Post-doctoral experience in a government-owned national laboratory is a plus.
- Strong background in machine learning, artificial intelligence, and big data analytics applied in sensing data processing.
- Familiar with multivariate analysis techniques for extracting information related to multiple parameters simultaneously from advanced sensing platforms.
- Experience in advanced data analytics methods for optical fiber based distributed sensing data analysis as it relates to indicators of incipient failures and leaks within the natural gas infrastructure.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.