This position provides support for the programs of the Research and Innovation Center (RIC) of the U.S. DOE, National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) at the Morgantown location. The incumbent in this position will support research to identify approaches to achieve high recompression closed Brayton cycle (RCBC) efficiencies under varying energy load profiles that emphasize large renewables penetration. The incumbent shall apply advanced control approach to a dynamic process model of a supercritical CO2 RCBC. Overall system stability and cycle efficiency under varying load ramp rate changes must be of particular emphasis. The incumbent will support both classical and advanced control methods [e.g., Model Predictive Control (MPC)]. The incumbent is expected to disseminate the research by preparing a final report summarizing all efforts, findings, and conclusions shall be delivered for the MPC or Advanced Regulatory Control (ARC) used along with a comparison to already developed, classical PID implementation.
Responsibilities are functional in nature and performed under supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
1) Apply an advanced control approach to a dynamic process model of a supercritical CO2 recompression closed Brayton cycle (RCBC) in support of this objective. Overall system stability and cycle efficiency under varying load ramp rate changes must be of particular emphasis.
2) Active participation in group meetings.
3) Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
4) A final report summarizing all efforts, findings, and conclusions shall be delivered for the MPC or Advanced Regulatory Control (ARC) used along with a comparison to already developed, classical PID implementation
1) Currently enrolled PhD student in STEM, 0 years experience required.
2) Experience in a combination of the following: extensive experience using Aspen Dynamics and at least some experience with Aspen Custom Modeler is necessary for this research to be conducted successfully.
3) Background in process system controls.
1) Ability to work independently as well with a team of researchers. Skilled in approaching the problem with the help of existing scholarly articles and/or simulation driven design to arrive at solutions.
2) Ability to collaborate effectively and provide support to a multidisciplinary/multi-organization team of co-investigators from diverse disciplines. Present design ideas and findings succinctly and provide assistance to obtain
3) Demonstrated proficiency in the writing of scholarly publications
4) Demonstrated proficiency in collaborating technical findings with external research organizations such as research laboratories and/or academic institutions
5) Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.