Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Your greatest work is ahead!
Leidos currently has an opening for a Cyber Physical System Researcher to work at the US Department of Energy (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Morgantown, WV. NETL is a DOE national laboratory that produces technological solutions for America's energy challenges. The incumbent in this position will support the Hybrid Performance(Hyper) Facility. The Hyper Facility is the only truly dynamic pilot-scale hybrid energy-conversion system in the world. It is a recuperated gas turbine system integrated with a cyber physical fuel cell environment that is automated through an industrial power system configuration.
Location: Morgantown, WV
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Responsibilities are functional in nature and performed under limited supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Development of Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) Hardware.
- Development of new hardware components, including: preliminary design (process flow diagram and stream summary table); design of the piping and instrumentation diagram (P&ID); specifications of equipment, sensors, control actuators, and supporting materials; knowledge of mechanical design for fabrication, installation, integration, and system shakedown.
- Development and execution of technical test plans for real-time dynamic experiments, including system coupling and integration effects that could cause hazards to equipment and personnel.
- Development of research proposals, including identifying metrics in FOAs, developing technical ideas, securing resources, negotiating with potential partners, outlining a viable technical route, work breakdown structure, milestones, budgeting, and technical writing.
- Coordinate with partners to develop task plans, write quarterly reports, prepare review materials, and provide technical summaries.
- Provide technical support for educational programs, including working with student interns, providing professional assistance and advice, helping young STEM professionals along their career paths, coordinating with other partner awardees regarding to project progress and achievement showcase, and providing guidance in the preparation of technical journal papers.
- Active participation in group meetings.
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Lead efforts in preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- A PhD from an accredited university in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
- A minimum of 3 years work experience post-PhD.
- Technical expertise in the cyber-physical approach, hardware-in-the-loop simulation, concept design, and dynamic operability.
- Experience in the development of new hardware components, including: preliminary design (process flow diagram and stream summary table); design of the piping and instrumentation diagram (P&ID); specifications of equipment, sensors, control actuators, and supporting materials; knowledge of mechanical design for fabrication, installation, integration, and system shakedown
- Knowledge of integrated power systems comprised of multiple assets with distinct time constants and dynamic characteristics with experience in system analysis, system integration, thermal management, signal communication, experimental operation, control development, and data acquisition and analysis.
- Experience with real-time numeric model simulation of electrochemical and fuel processing components.
- Experience with CPS signal integration and operations through a high-speed industrial control platform.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the writing of scholarly publications.
- Demonstrated proficiency in collaborating technical findings with external research organizations such as research laboratories and/or academic institutions.
- Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
- Knowledge of R&IC SARS and CROPS processes
- Experience in hardware through dedicated CPS platforms such as dSPACE and OPAL-RT.
- Experience with high-speed industrial control platform, Woodward Industrial Controls MicroNet Plus.
- Experience in the development of research proposals, including identifying metrics in FOAs, developing technical ideas, securing resources, negotiating with potential partners, outlining a viable technical route, work breakdown structure, milestones, budgeting, and technical writing.
- Preference for experience in a national laboratory environment or industrial R&D lab where safe working practices are paramount
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to represent Leidos or its clients at conferences or public forums or contribute to technical reports and scientific journals.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.