The Space Sensors Branch within the Leidos Innovation Center at Leidos currently has an opening for a Chief Payload Engineer to work in our San Diego, CA office. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience helping design, build and test OPIR payloads where Leidos is transforming the payload solutions for the future.
- Responsible for applied research and advanced engineering in the development of new electro-optical/Infrared (EO/IR) sensors, components, and subassemblies.
- On a project basis, directs and coordinates all activities necessary to complete major projects requiring a wide variety of technical skills.
- Organizes and reviews technical effort, documentation and deliverables on contracts in conjunction with program management staff.
- Serves as the technical lead for assigned EO/IR system proposals and assists in developing and screening research and development proposals within the department.
- Assists managers in identifying and evaluating company technical capabilities which will help strengthen proposals, key technologies, and investment strategies directed toward company growth.
- Assists in evaluating technical capabilities of prospective and existing employees.
- Recognized authority in the design, assembly, test, and operation of EO/IR sensors in all domains (ground, air, space) who is capable of handling the challenging environments.
- Communication skills necessary to advise, counsel, and/or guide people on complex matters.
- Success is highly dependent upon the level and proficiency of communication/writing skills.
- Masters with 15 - 20 years of prior relevant experience or Doctorate with 13 - 16 years of prior relevant experience.
- US citizenship and an active Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance.
- Specialized experience includes the use of structured analysis, design methodologies and/or design tools in the development and implementation of large projects and experience leading EO/IR sensor assembly, integration and test.
- The successful candidate should be a creative problem solver and demonstrate a broad ranging technical management and team development experience encompassing:
- Electro-optical multispectral and hyperspectral imaging sensors for ground, airborne and space applications
- Visible and infrared focal plane array and photo-detector technology
- Process and system development
- Failure and reliability engineering
- Risk analysis and management
- Active Top Secret Security Clearance
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.