The Guidance Navigation and Control Department of the Leidos Innovations Center develops and deploys cutting edge alternative positioning systems for customers who can’t rely on GPS alone. We need your help in the Rocket City, Huntsville, AL!
In this position you’ll be working on a mix of analytical and hands-on tasks including algorithm development, analysis, simulation, and field testing of autonomous navigation systems. Your group primarily supports research and development as well as advanced prototyping for customers including DARPA, NASA, Air Force Research Laboratory, Office of Naval Research, and the Army CCDC Aviation and Missile Center. These customers need to get our advanced technology into the field!
You’ll be a part of more than one small team of engineers (typically 3-5) working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of advanced capabilities. You’ll get to go demo your work in the field in front the customer! Are you excited about making advanced technologies work in the real world? Then we want you on our team!
Fun stuff on the job you will get to do:
- Develop, integrate, and analyze navigation fusion algorithms, including Extended Kalman Filters, Unscented Kalman Filters, and Particle Filters.
- Develop, integrate, and analyze computer vision techniques (including feature extraction, feature matching, optical flow, visual odometry, and Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) functions).
- Develop and utilize simulation testbeds to support algorithm testing and assessment.
- Travel with your team to demo your system to the customer on a variety of platforms, including aircraft, ground vehicles, pedestrians, and naval ships. Testing trips typically last for 1-2 weeks and occur 3-4 times a year.
Skills you will need to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent and 2+ years of relevant experience or Master’s Degree with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance.
- Experience programming in MATLAB. You’ll do most of your analysis and algorithm development in Matlab. Strong programming experience in other languages usually makes transition to Matlab pretty easy, so this could work as well.
- Experience with either sensor fusion/estimation algorithms (e.g. Kalman Filters, Particles Filters, or Factor Graphs), or with computer vision algorithms (for instance openCV). If you have experience with both sensor fusion and computer vision that’s even better!
- If you don’t have experience with either of these, a strong background in System Dynamics and Controls theory (e.g. PID Control, State Space Control, etc.) can suffice.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Master’s or PhD Degree in major listed above.
- Experience working with various sensor types (Inertial Measurement Units, GPS, cameras, LiDAR, etc.).
- Experience with C++ and/or Python.
- Experience with the Robot Operating System (ROS) and the OpenCV computer vision library.
- Experience with interface communication standards / protocols including RS232, RS422, TCP/IP, and UDP to communicate with various sensors.
- Experience with autonomous system development through robotics competitions.
- Experience with the Linux operating environment.
- Experience using version control tools (GIT, Subversion, etc).
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.