The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) has an opening for a Principal Navigation Engineer in Huntsville, AL. Our team’s mission is to: (1) develop and demonstrate new alternative navigation technologies to meet urgent military operational needs to operate in GPS-challenged environments, and (2) rapidly transition this technology to operational platforms to outpace the adversary threats currently being faced in the field. Projects involve small teams of engineers working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of emerging capabilities. Our core competencies include sensor fusion, computer vision, HW/SW integration, and machine learning. Typical customers include Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC) engineering centers, Office of Naval Research (ONR), and Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). We are looking for a candidate who is interested in performing challenging technical work, leading small-to-medium sized teams of engineers and supporting new business activities.
- Lead all aspects of a portfolio of navigation development programs, from initial phases (concept generation, feasibility analysis, customer socialization, and proposal response) through prototype hardware/software development, integration, test, and transition.
- Perform advanced technical research and development (including IRAD support) while also leading/managing small teams and growing new business across the portfolio
- Perform system-level analysis and software development for alternative navigation systems across all
- Serve as technical lead and/or project manager for navigation development efforts with teams of 3 to 12 junior and mid-level engineers.
- Develop mathematical sensor errors models and implement navigation filters including Extended Kalman Filters, Unscented Kalman Filters, and Particle Filters.
- Support trade studies and requirements development for integrated alternative navigation systems. Technologies of interest including traditional navigation sensors (Inertial Measurement Units, GPS receivers) as well as novel augmenting technologies (vision, geophysical, celestial, and signal of opportunity exploitation).
- Experience supporting flight tests and field demonstrations of novel navigation technologies
- Support business development activities, including technical solution design to meet novel requirements, white paper generation, and proposal writing assignments
- Present to senior military and government leaders for both status of current projects as well as concepts for future growth opportunities
Bachelor’s Degree in advanced technical field (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent) and 12+ years of experience or Master’s Degree with 10+ years of experience performing and leading navigation development work. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain
- Demonstrated leadership experience on navigation technology development projects for military customers
- Software programming expertise in languages such as Python, Matlab, and/or C++
- Strong leadership and communication skills with ability to lead research and development projects
- Ability to be cleared to Top Secret level
PhD in advanced technical field (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent) with 8+ years of experience performing and leading navigation development work.
- Experience leading projects through successful field testing on operational platforms
- Experience presenting to senior government and military officials (O-6 and above)
- Experience leading a successful competitive technical proposal that resulted in new work for previous organization, particularly in support of DARPA or a military research laboratory
- Existing security clearance at Secret level or above
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.