Leidos has an opening for an Advanced Food Technologist Research Scientist to support the Human Health and Performance Contract (HHPC), in NASA’s Human Systems Engineering and Innovation organization at the Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX. The Research Scientist will directly support research activities within the Advanced Food Technology (AFT) portfolio, which is responsible for developing requirements, methods and technologies that enable NASA to provide an adequate food system for future space exploration.
The AFT Research Scientist will oversee several multi-year research projects that contribute to the overall body of research that is aimed at reducing the Risk of Performance Decrement and Crew Illness Due to an Inadequate Food System.
Specific activities include new product development, reformulation of existing foods, nutrition stability testing, shelf-life determination, organoleptic characterization of packaged foods and bioregenerative produce, and integration of foods into flight studies or ground-based analogs. Additional activities include (but are not limited to), conducting literature reviews, supporting proposal development, preparing /reviewing technical reports, and preparing presentations, proposals, or quarterly charts. Participation in outreach events, tours, and other activities scheduled by the Public Affairs and Education Offices is also required.
- Shelf-life determination – Manage schedules for shelf-life testing, establish analytical testing procedures, oversee activities of the research and development technician to ensure proper execution of analytical tests, analyze shelf-life data, and provide regular updates to NASA customer.
- Research oversight – Includes deliverable tracking, management of project timelines, establishment of research protocols, and coordination/communication of project status to NASA customer.
- Product Development – Activities include, but are not limited to development of powdered nutritional beverages, retorted or freeze-dried foods; flavor and texture optimization; evaluation of novel processing technologies; and assessment of alternative packaging materials.
- Sensory evaluation – Responsible for managing sensory evaluation schedules for all R&D projects; oversight of sensory testing to ensure that all tests are conducted in accordance with Independent Review Board (IRB) protocols for human testing; support panelist recruitment and training; ensure sensory data is analyzed and reported on a weekly basis.
- Technical writing – Conduct literature reviews to remain abreast of industry standards; contribute to proposals and manuscripts for publication; prepare and review technical reports, presentations, and charts, as assigned.
- ISS provisioning support – Support development and reformulation of ISS menu items, and other tasks as assigned.
- Public Outreach - Participation in outreach events, tours, and other activities scheduled by the Public Affairs and Education Office or requested by the NASA customer.
- You may be asked to support various media campaigns, which require media training and compliance with established export control guidelines
Required Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in Food Science or a closely related discipline, and a minimum of 5 years' previous experience in a commercial food production or research setting.
- Previous demonstrated experience with shelf-life determination, food product development, specification development, analytical evaluation, research project management, and data analysis/reporting.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- You may be required to travel for this position (up to 20%)
Desired Education and Experience:
- PhD in Food Science, Food Engineering, Nutrition, or closely related discipline
- Previous experience with sensory evaluation
- Previous experience managing complex budgets
- Serv-Safe certification
- Experience updating existing ingredient and product specifications
- Experience with nutritional estimation and label generation
- This job requires the ability to lift 40 pounds
- Occasionally exposed to cold environments when retrieving refrigerated or frozen shelf-life samples
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust security clearance; U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status is required due to length of investigation for non-U.S. Persons.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.