We are seeking a Safety Specialist/Industrial Hygienist to work with the best and brightest at NASA Headquarters (HQ) in Washington DC in support of NASA HQ health and safety programs. You will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth. In this role, you will gain many intangible skills, such as time and task management, critical thinking and problem solving, the ability to communicate complicated problems in a concise manner, as well as solve complex problems associated with health and safety programmatic issues.
The Industrial Hygienist will work under general supervision of the Occupational Health Group supervisor and is expected to apply basic industrial hygiene concepts, practices, and procedures. Independent judgment within defined procedures and practices is expected in this role.
Duties include the following:
- Perform facility inspections to determine compliance with regulations and standards; verify that corrective actions are implemented.
- Perform comprehensive Industrial Hygiene and environmental sampling, maintain chain of custody, engage appropriate laboratories, and interpret and document the results after developing a sampling strategy
- Review site-specific Health and Safety Plans (HASPs) for construction and maintenance activities to ensure that safety and health concerns have been identified and adequately controlled.
- Respond to urgent customer concerns which typically consists of the ability to immediately respond to phone and email notifications of areas of concern from the buildings’ populace to discover and characterize uncontrolled hazards, and to recommend to the government the next course of action
- Maintain a hazardous material inventory of all chemicals onsite and their associated Safety Data Sheets
- Apply occupational health and industrial hygiene principles as needed and work closely with occupational health professionals.
- Perform compliance assessments of safety and health programs against OSHA regulations and Safety, Occupational Health and Environmental Program manuals.
- Perform occupational health surveys which consist of safety, ergonomic, indoor air quality assessments, general industrial hygiene and exposure assessments of chemical or physical hazards for general office space and building operations and maintenance functions; and specialized post-renovation, pre-occupancy evaluation for the purpose of assuring that the space is safe for occupancy.
- Perform a review and evaluation of documents provided by NASA for the purpose of hazard assessment. Typically, this involves special events, permits, blue print reviews in association with demolition, renovation and new construction, including audits of health and safety plans, and reviews of policy or procedures
- Provide Safety & Health Training per the safety training plan. Develop highest priority training classes, implement a training schedule, and provide instructor led classes
- Develop/update or modify written safety and health programs to meet specific requirement of NASA and OSHA required hazard control programs.
- Ensure IH sampling equipment is factory maintained, calibrated, and certified in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations to assure data integrity.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial hygiene/environmental health or related field, completed appropriate training, and have at least 2 years of recent industrial hygiene experience, including indoor air quality assessments and performing ergonomic assessments
- Familiarity with construction site activities, occupational health and safety procedures and requirements
- Knowledge of occupational health and industrial hygiene concepts, building ventilation systems, environmental sampling, exposure sampling, ergonomics, indoor air quality, chemical safety and the HAZCOM standard.
- A technical background in various process, utility, industrial and or mechanical systems and an understanding of associated hazards and risk assessment methodology;
- The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills as the position involves interfacing with client and on-site contractor personnel. Candidate must be experienced in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, for presentations, reports, and other uses.
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance. U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residence is required due to length of investigation for non-U.S. Persons.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.