Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Your greatest work is ahead!
Leidos is seeking a Geo Science Researcher that will provide support to the Natural Gas team at the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). The research will involve characterizing methane emissions from abandoned oil and gas wells.
The Geo Science Researcher will conduct; analytical, experimental, investigative and other fact-finding work using standard scientific approaches and techniques to support principal scientific researchers, observes, calculates, records and interprets the results of tests and analyses, and designs, constructs, modifies, calibrates, operates and maintains equipment used for these purposes or devised as a result of the work.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The project includes the following tasks:
- Assisting NETL staff to obtain cooperation from landowners and secure site access agreements for field campaigns.
- Mining existing state and private databases for information about abandoned wells: quantity, location and any other relevant recorded characteristics.
- Designing field campaigns for determination of leakage rate from abandoned wells in multiple regions.
- Collecting, recording, and analyzing methane concentration/emission rate data.
- Preparing reports, presentations, and publications on the results of the study.
- The candidate will prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders is a requirement for this position.
- Period status reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and customers.
- The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. The manager will request the applicant to provide a PowerPoint presentation for group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is generally once every 6 months but can occur at a higher rate.
- This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ph.D. in relevant science or engineering discipline. (chemistry, environmental science, environmental engineering, etc.).
- 2+ years of experience in laboratory research and field monitoring. (collecting field-based environmental data and subsequent analysis).
- Collection and analysis of gas and soil samples.
- Experience with using analytical instruments that measure ambient concentration of greenhouse gases (e.g. Los Gatos UGGA) and/or methane flow rate. (Bacharach Hi Flow Sampler).
- Experience in analytical instrumentation calibration, repair, and troubleshooting.
- Experience in environmental modeling and statistics.
- Skilled in using ArcGIS software, including Collector, Desktop, and Story Map.
- Knowledgeable about the EPA Greenhouse Gas Inventory structure and sources of data, particularly regarding emissions from the oil and natural gas sector.
- Experience in initiating and maintaining intra- and inter-agency collaborations.
- First authorship of peer-reviewed journal articles and posters/presentations at national conferences.
- The prospective employee would be familiar with working in a Research and Development setting.
- The candidate would have experience conducting research at a GOGO (Government owned Government operated) lab.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.