The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation has openings for Science Officers I & II to support a large healthcare contract in Frederick, MD.
The Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) is responsible for the execution management for a broad range of medical research programs under the US Army Medical Research and Development Command. CDMRP’s portfolio consists of a variety of award types including basic science research, advanced therapeutic and technology development, clinical, research and clinical trials, and multi-institutional consortia. CDMRP requires an experienced and cohesive team of scientists who can support all aspects of the grant execution and management process. The Life Sciences Operation of the Health Group of Leidos is accepting applications for possible future Science Officers who will provide scientific support to the CDMRP. Science officers should have specialized experience in one of the following areas of biomedical research: cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune and genetic disorders, cardiovascular and respiratory health, neurological and psychological health, and tissue, organ, and orthopaedic injuries and restorative/rehabilitative medicine.
This is NOT a laboratory research position. This position requires U.S. citizenship in order to obtain a U.S. Department of Defense security clearance. This position is located in Frederick, Maryland. Some local travel may be required.
- Provide full-cycle scientific, management, and administrative support as a member of a program team
- Identify missing documentation required to complete award negotiations
- Identify instances of existing or potential funding duplications with other Federal agencies and/or private organizations
- Review proposals that have been recommended for funding, considering peer and programmatic review comments, and provide notes to the contracting agency to assist with award negotiation
- Facilitate communication efforts with the Office of Research Protections (ORP), contracting activities authority, and the PI and their research team regarding issues with their research grant
- Identify research awards (i.e., clinical trials) that require specific project milestones and work with the contracting office, sponsor, and PI to establish appropriate metrics and milestones
- Review post-award documents from the PI after they are submitted to eBRAP and notify the PI if the documents are not correct
- Assign and review portfolio codes for new research awards
- Review the current and pending support documents for grant overlap issues to include duplication of funding with other agencies, either federal or private.
- Maintain accurate grant files and track compliance through an internal electronic database system
- Provide recommendations to the Grants Officer’s Representative and USAMRAA regarding changes to the assistance agreement including changes in PI, institutional transfers, and no cost extensions.
- Review quarterly, annual, and final technical progress reports; verify that the SOW is being followed and all regulatory approvals are in place for the work being done
- Assess the relevance of reported publications and patents and identify notable research accomplishments
- Provide briefings regarding the research portfolio to CDMRP, USAMRDC and DOD leadership, as needed
- Participate in working groups such as Program Evaluation, Consumer Working Group, SBIR/STTR, Clinical Awards Working Group as a program resource
- May attend peer review, programmatic review, and scientific conferences as requested by CDMRP as a program resource
- Provide scientific writing support focused on highlights, program book content, annual report content, press releases, and other print and electronic products
- Other administrative-related duties, as assigned.
- U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain a clearance
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in biology, life sciences, or related discipline.
- 0-2 years related experience in biomedical research
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
Pay Range:Pay Range - -
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.