Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Your greatest work is ahead!
Leidos is seeking an experienced Senior Microwave Research Engineer at the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Morgantown, WV. The Senior Microwave Research Engineer will help with investigating catalysts to provide economical and clean coal (or coal/biomass) as derived value-added fuels.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Location: Morgantown, WV
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Utilize expertise in multiphysics numerical modeling of microwave-assisted process using COMSOL: Specifically including the modeling microwave heating of porous catalyst beds and continuous fluid flow modeling coupled with electromagnetic heating. Utilize coupling EM-field, heat transfer, and fluid flow to solve complex multiphysics systems.
- Utilize expertise with dielectric characterization of materials for microwave system design.
- Use experience in operating pilot scale microwave reactors, industrial microwave system.
- Conduct applied catalysis research using experience toward energy applications using advanced microwave technology.
- Conduct fundamental research and design experiments to understand the fundamental physics involved in electromagnetics-material interactions
- Exhibit demonstrated ability to solve technical problems by combining scientific knowledge and hands-on experiments along with numerical modeling of complex systems.
- Provide analytical support including demonstrated hands-on experience with GCMS, CHNS Analyzer, XRD, BET surface analyzer, liquid-liquid extraction and others.
- Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments
- Present ideas and results to the research team.
- Contribute to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assist or lead efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- A PhD in engineering, chemistry, or physics from an accredited university with 5+ years of experience in applied laboratory operations (industrial or academic) and analyses in a structured laboratory environment.
- 5+ years of research experience designing and developing electromagnetic-based processes for sustainable energy solutions for fuel upgrading.
- Knowledge of and practical experience with state-of-the-art design and characterization for conventional and non-conventional (including microwave based) catalytic reaction systems.
- Extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Possess knowledge of and practical experience with catalyst development with a preferred background in coal/biomass processes to value added products.
- Experience in materials design, synthesis, and pre- and post-run characterization of catalysts.
- Hands on experience in electromagnetic field simulation such as interactions of electromagnetic field with materials.
- Experience with plasma chemistry/ microwave plasma.
- Previous work history in conducting research and development in a structured laboratory environment using high-temperature/pressurized systems and handling a variety of chemicals.
- Experience and/or familiarity with conducting research in a US Government National Laboratory setting where conducting safe operations is paramount.
- Demonstrated ability to author publications and to present results related to their research work.
- Familiarity with HSC Chemistry or similar and statistical software like SAS or similar.
- Leadership experience on research and development projects is highly desired.
- Supervisory and/or mentoring skills would also be beneficial to this position.
Leidos Civil Group helps modernize infrastructure, systems, and security. We are a trusted partner to both government and highly regulated commercial customers looking for transformative solutions in mission IT, security, software, engineering, and operations. We work with our customers including the FAA, DOE, NASA, National Science Foundation, Transportation Security Administration, Custom and Border Protection, airports, and electric utilities to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. To explore and learn more, click here!
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career, share your resume with us today!
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.