Are you ready to join Leidos all-star team? Through training, teamwork, and exposure to challenging technical work, let Leidos show how to accelerate your career path.
The Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) Advanced Analytics team has an opening for a Natural Language Processing (NLP) Researcher Scientist with a background that reflects designing, implementing, and analyzing approaches that integrate, adapt, and extend novel capabilities to state-of-the-art technical challenges in competitive contract research and development (R&D) programs (basic and applied). Candidates with a background in computational linguistics, human language technology, machine translation, automated speech recognition, machine translation, linguistic data analysis, statistical programming, data science, and technical writing, and experience participating in and leading multi-disciplinary teams of researchers and engineers are strongly preferred. Work is located in Arlington, VA.
We are looking for a research scientist with a specialization in NLP research to work as part of multi-disciplinary team to develop and implement approaches and solutions for contract research and development projects. The innovative technical approaches and solutions delivered to customers advance the state of the art in the research while addressing long-term problems of importance to national security. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience implementing and adapting range of state of the art technologies in the area of natural language processing.
Fun challenges you will get to work on:
• Working at the direction of a technical lead (e.g., PhD-level research scientist), the candidate will work independently on research programs and adapt NLP technologies as part of a large project addressing highly-complex research challenges.
• Collect, develop, and data sets based common to machine learning-based NLP tasks. Examples include data collection, exploration, formatting; dimension reduction; enhancing and improving data quality; and feature selection and engineering.
• Adapt and extend state of the art machine learning-based technologies to support NLP tasks.
To be successful in this role you need these skills (required):
• Bachelor's degree in computational linguistics, computer science, data science, or a related discipline, such as statistics or applied mathematics with 2 years of specialized experience innovating analytical techniques and performing analytical functions using machine-learning libraries or other approaches.
• Experience with a subfield of NLP such as computational linguistics, human language technologies, automatic speech recognition, machine translation
• Experience in the following areas: text processing and construction of corpora in unfamiliar languages; processing of large text collections with standard NLP tools for parsing, entity extraction, POS tagging, topic discovery and classification (such as sentiment analysis), and natural language understanding; tuning hyper-parameters of existing NLP models for domain-specific data sets; computational manipulation and analysis of natural language documents using statistical models; experimenting with large corpora for developing and testing advanced NLP algorithms.
• Ability to program in Python, Perl, or other scripting language; comfort with work in a Linux environment.
• Familiarity with common NLP and ML toolkits such as Stanford CoreNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, scikit-learn, and Tensorflow.
• Knowledge of state-of-the-art methods coupled with the creativity and intelligence to advance beyond them. Track record of active learning and creative problem solving.
• Experience contributing to technical projects to successful completion.
• Able to achieve at least a Secret Security clearance
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Experience working on competitive contract R&D projects for a customer such as DARPA
• Publications/demonstrable strong technical results in a specialized subfield of NLP and HLT
• Familiarity with collaboration environments (e.g. Jupyter notebooks, PyCharm)
• Prior experience with many of the following models in the context of NLP problems and data: Deep Learning (CNNs, RCNNs, LSTMs), GANs, Autoencoders, Reinforcement Learning, Siamese Networks, Logistic Regression, Linear Regression, Support Vector Machines, Hidden Markov Models, Conditional Random Fields, Latent Dirichlet Allocation.
Leidos is a Fortune 500 information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 32,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.