The Cyber and SIGINT Solutions Operation under the Intelligence Group of Leidos is seeking an experienced Senior Database Engineer for a program in San Diego, CA.
The portfolio of projects includes tactical mobile development as well as enterprise web application development. These products support the Cybersecurity and Information Assurance domains and deploy a variety of technologies and communicate with infrastructure interfaces to bring secure, modern-day Cybersecurity and Cryptographic Key Management solutions to the warfighter.
List daily duties and/or specific job responsibilities.
Leidos is seeking a candidate for the position of a Senior Database Engineer. This position is for a Senior Database Administration Engineering and technical development team leader within the our portfolio of Cybersecurity and Cryptographic Key Management projects. This position requires a candidate who has held a diverse blend of technical leadership roles supporting Government markets and has a track record of successfully executing projects involving enterprise or complex web-based implementations using relational databases. Database technologies vary and may include systems such as Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server, MySQL and SQLite for mobile applications.
This candidate will oversee areas of database application support for a fast-paced, leading-edge information assurance (IA) development program in an Agile environment, including database design, installation, configuration, performance tuning, backups, troubleshooting, managing DB development tools and leading a database support team. The candidate will contribute creative technical database design and performance guidance in Agile planning sessions, storyboarding and SCRUM reviews.
The candidate will help to grow the business and keep the team's skillsets recent by staying involved with industry working groups that are focused on application security initiatives (e.g. OWASP, CWE, SANS). Must have good customer skills and working knowledge of database security. It is expected that the candidate is able to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment with strong communication and interpersonal skills. Candidate will be a member of an experienced project team.
Position Responsibilities Will Include:
- Analyze user requirements, system architecture, and system requirements specifications, and will provide database engineering expertise and develop system architecture and system design documentation.
- Support the development of system configuration documentation, including designs for capacity and performance planning and will perform engineering activities, including risk assessments and analyses of alternatives for a variety of system related issues and concerns.
- Provide guidance and support for database engineering of large-scale systems, major system elements, and interfacing systems that are part of a large complex network environment with geographically distributed components.
- Interface with technical managers, system and software integration engineers, test engineers, information assurance engineers, and other project team members in an Agile environment.
- Manage and administer computer databases for large development projects.
- Ensure data requirements have been identified, design is fully normalized, and database complies with industry best practices and security requirements.
- Plan and implement software installations, upgrades, and patches.
- Build instances and database objects including the creation of tables, indexes, views, and stored procedures.
- Monitor database performance to ensure integrity of data and provide tuning of the database for optimal performance.
- Identify need for hardware / software upgrades or replacements.
- Ensure root causes to bottlenecks are identified and implement corrective actions. Ensure databases backups are both scheduled and verified successful.
- Document and implement disaster recovery plans.
- May assign personnel to various projects and special tasks and directs their activities; reviews and evaluates their work and prepares performance reports.
- Confers with and advises subordinates on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems, priorities and methods of resolution.
- Consults with and advises development team members and users of the various database applications.
- Provide development design guidance including documentation for database engineering performance, schema, security, testing and deployment.
- Projects long-range requirements for database administration and design in conjunction with other managers in the information systems function.
- Prepares activity and progress reports regarding the database management section.
- The database engineer will actively participate in program increment planning and related agile team activities.
- Option to work a 9/80 work schedule (i.e., 9 hour days, then work 8 hours on first Friday and off the second Friday)
What you will like about this position…
- Being part of an amazing team of professionals all passionate about the vision of the product suite and the positive impact it provides to our many customers.
- Implementing a wide variety of technologies and the use of powerful industry-standard development tools and practices.
Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field with at least 10+ years of related experience or a Master’s Degree with at least 8+ years of relevant experience. Additional experience may be substituted for a Degree.
- Active DoD Secret Clearance to be considered and be eligible to obtain up to a TS/SCI clearance in the future.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of professional experience as database administrator.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in developing database architectures.
- Knowledge of Oracle or PostgreSQL Internals.
- Hands on experience in relational database programming in relational database management systems including the development of functions / stored procedures / triggers / etc
- Experience with data modeling and performance tuning
- Experience in supporting development efforts in all phases of the development life cycle.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment, and possess time management skills to meet schedules and participate in the Agile scrum.
- Works well in a team environment and has excellent written and communication skills.
- Must be able to manage workloads within multiple projects, delivering results within agreed deadlines.
- Strong problem solving and decision making ability.
- Exemplifies leadership traits and foster a team atmosphere.
- Detail oriented with experience interacting with customers.
Desired Qualifications (some subset of the following):
- Knowledgeable in Agile Methodologies (e.g. Scrum, Lean), particular to the incorporation of security / IA into the lifecycle.
- Experience integrating security into a Continuous Integration Environment.
- Knowledgeable on various web services / service oriented architectures
- Previous experience in Administration and Operations roles.
DoD 8570 approved security certification (i.e., Security +) (Will be required 90 days after hire).
The right candidate will exhibit the following:
· Quality - demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail at all times; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
· Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities and takes ownership of tasks at hand; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
· Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
· Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
· Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
· Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.