Leidos is seeking a Laboratory Technician to join the Energy & Environmental Division’s onsite laboratory in Luckey, Ohio, supporting the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) project. This position will require the use of a variety of chemistry methods and instrumentation to support onsite environmental remediation work. The Laboratory Technician will be performing sample preparation, chemical isotope separations, and sample analysis by gamma spectroscopy, alpha spectrometry, and gas flow proportional counting. This position will also assist with data analysis and review, preparing and reviewing data packages and reports, instrument maintenance and repair.
- Perform formal chain-of-custody sample receipt, verification of sample information, and logging of samples into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Perform sample preparation on soil and preservation and aliquoting of water samples prior to analysis.
- Perform sample analysis using instrumentation including alpha spectrometry, gamma spectroscopy and gross alpha/beta counting by gas flow proportional counters.
- Perform chemical separations on soil and water samples for isotopic thorium, isotopic uranium and radium by following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain a clean laboratory area by following all laboratory decontamination procedures.
- Prepare reagents as needed for the chemical separation processes.
- Processing of sample results from the instrumentation to the LIMS and subsequent email reporting to data users.
- Complete data package assembly including primary and secondary reviews and to identify and correct mistakes and inconsistencies utilizing apex and LIMS software’s.
- Applicant must be able to follow all radiation and chemical safety procedures in all areas of the laboratory.
- Applicant must be willing to work on other laboratory projects and some travel to other Leidos laboratories to support setup or laboratory operations.
- High School Diploma and 2 years' experience. College hours completed towards a relevant degree will be considered experience.
- Capable of reviewing, compiling, and providing data files to users.
- Capable of performing sample preparation procedures.
- Capable of performing counting procedures on alpha, gamma, and gross alpha/beta samples.
- Capable of performing isotopic chemical separation procedures.
- Prior experience with Mirion’s APEX gamma, APEX alpha and APEX gross alpha/beta preferred.
- Prior experience with LIMS software preferred.
- Prior experience performing isotopic chemical separations.
- OSHA 40-hr Hazwoper and Radworker II training
Position Specific Physical Requirements: Must pass a blood beryllium lymphocyte proliferation test (BeLPT) prior to start
Training Requirements: OSHA 40-hr Hazwoper, Radworker II, and Beryllium worker training required prior to start
MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN A PUBLIC TRUST CLEARANCE.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.