Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Currently, we have an opportunity for an Associate Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering in our Seattle, WA office.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Leadership Opportunities
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- NESC expertise
- Interface with local clients
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Interactions with other disciplines(Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
- Strategic Development
- Expanding a Portfolio of Business
- Partnering with a Variety of Utility Clients Nationwide
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include joint use make ready, and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
The associate level candidate need not be proficient in applicate customer engineering, construction standards, and software systems. Training will be provided by Leidos.
Background must haves
• Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree (EE or CE preferred) is required and 0-2 years of prior relevant experience or Masters degree: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
o (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
Nice to haves
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
• Familiarity with PoleForeman, SAP, Microstation
• Fundamentals of Engineer certification
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Field Inspections
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
This position may require you to work for our temporary agency for 1 year with the possibility of a conversion as a Leidos employee.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.