Leidos has an opening in the Lynnwood, Washington office for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to design, build, and test Naval and Maritime systems.
Experienced design engineer. Work closely with Government and Military customers and end users to develop creative solutions to complex problems. Integration of advanced acoustic, optical, electrical, and robotic technologies in a challenging technical environment.
- Participate in discussions with customers to develop and refine specific constraints and requirements for use of maritime mechanical systems
- Work with Leidos and co-contractor systems, electrical, mechanical, and software engineers to develop integrated design concepts to meet constraints, requirements, and system internal and external interfaces.
- Create plans and budgets for detailed design and development of mechanical system concepts
- Perform structural, vibration, shock, thermal, and hydrodynamic analysis of conceptual and detailed designs using hand calculations and analysis software such as Solidworks, ANSYS and COMSOL.
- Create CAD models of mechanical systems using Dessault Solidworks software
- Generate ANSI compliant drawings of parts and assemblies for fabrication
- Participate in source selection and work with vendors to resolve questions and issues during fabrication of parts and assemblies
- Work with technicians and manufacturing engineers to develop assembly and in-process test procedures and resolve manufacturing issues
- Support Earned Value Management System (EVMS) processes for cost and schedule performance tracking
- Work with test engineers to develop and support system and subsystem tests to verify compliance with requirements
- Requires BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain. Years of experience may be substituted for a degree
- Able to obtain Secret clearance or higher
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work without close supervision.
- Strong, effective, and professional communication (written/verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take initiative in troubleshooting mechanical and electrical issues; creative in determining approach or action to take in non-routine situations.
- Demonstrated experience with Solidworks and Solidworks PDM Pro.
- Experienced in creating drawings to ASME standards, including applying GD&T per ASME Y14.5.
- Performing analysis of mechanical systems (thermal, structural, and hydrodynamic) using hand calculations and commercial FEA/CFD software packages (Solidworks, Ansys, COMSOL)
- Background designing, building, and testing prototype and limited production hardware systems.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders, and work in enclosed spaces.
- Maritime systems and/or ocean engineering experience greatly preferred.
- Prior experience with unmanned underwater vehicles, operating and control systems and associated electronics/sensors, launch and recovery subsystems, and system-to-host interfaces, including acoustic ranging and communications.
- Experience working with manual machine tools (mill & lathe) and fabrication equipment (saws, grinders, welders).
- Experience with additive manufacturing processes (3D printing)
- Familiarity working as part of a Integrated Product Team (IPT) on DOD programs of record.
- Knowledge of subsea acoustic systems (projectors & hydrophones).
- Experience designing for tight-tolerance optical systems.
- Knowledge of corrosion processes and designing systems to operate long-term in corrosive environments.
- Fiber optic telemetry experience.
- Lab and field test experience
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.