Leidos has an opening for a Human Factors Engineer. The Human Factors Engineer will support the Human Factors and System Management team, which supports the Habitability and Human Factors Branch at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. The team provides research, analysis, evaluation and usability testing of hardware and software crew interfaces for cockpits, habitats, spacesuits, and equipment. This includes computer displays and controls, workstation systems, and other types of crew interfaces. The group has a unique capability with a staff experienced in the rigors of both cognitive human factors and ergonomic research and evaluations. The candidate will support projects such as Lunar Terrain Vehicle (LTV) and Pressurized Rover. This includes Mars-forward variants, review of the JAXA rover design, and other surface assets that round out the surface mission architecture. Activities consist of providing support to the design reviews of the human-system interfaces, task analysis, and development and execution of human-in-the-loop (HITL) testing in both physical and Virtual Reality (VR) environments. Design and testing will involve both internal elements (e.g., driving stations, sleep stations, waste management system, and external elements (e.g., suitport infrastructure, aft deck design and integration, and general arrangement of power, thermal and communication subsystems). Travel to support offsite evaluations may be needed.
Specific Duties include:
• Provide human systems expertise and support to the design and development of human-system interfaces in an integrated and collaborative fashion, supporting design, development, and preparation of deliverables.
• Conduct cognitive task analysis to develop Master Task List.
• Conduct Human-in-the-Loop (HITL) testing by developing test plans, coordinating with facilities and project personnel, collaborating with subject matter experts, conducting the data collection and analysis, and delivering presentations to NASA customer throughout the design lifecycle.
• Provide human factors consulting services to may include: design, prototyping, surveys/interviews, heuristic evaluation, cognitive walkthroughs, and usability testing of human-system interfaces.
• Support technical reviews
Required Education and Experience:
- Masters degree in human factors, cognitive psychology, human-centered design, or closely-related technical discipline, and 3 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Demonstrated skills in task analysis, HITL testing, statistical analysis, and report writing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and comfort interacting with and influencing stakeholders in all roles and levels of the organization.
- Ability to work effectively both in small teams and independently is also required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work successfully in a multidisciplinary team as well as flexibility to adapt quickly to changing requirements.
- Familiarity with industry standards (e.g., MIL-STD-1472, NASA-STD-3001), and advanced technologies (e.g., eye trackers, physiological measures, mixed reality interfaces) is a plus.
- Ability to determine and execute the right evaluation method (quantitative or qualitative) for the question at hand.
- Ability to effectively interact with customers at all levels.
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust security clearance; U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status is required due to length of investigation for non-U.S. Persons.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.