Leidos Maritime System Solutions (MSS) is looking for an Engineering Technician to join a growing, fast-paced engineering research, development, testing and evaluation team. The position works closely with the Engineering Team and Test Director to support at-sea testing and system checkout/prep activities. Specific responsibilities include: supporting lab and at-sea testing of project UUVs; assisting with the execution and reporting of pre-deployment regression tests; technical troubleshooting of UUV components and sub-systems; mechanical integration of hardware; test preparation and checkout activities; lab support tasks such as shipping/receiving coordination, inventory and parts tracking, and facilities / space management.
This position will require the candidate to obtain and hold a Secret Clearance. You will be supporting engineering research, development, testing and evaluation directly at Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific located in San Diego, California.
- Safely conduct sea-tests in variable sea-states with variable personnel
- Communicate effectively – specifically during dynamic environments at sea
- Set-up and conduct tests and record data to assist with engineering analysis.
- Provide field service support on an as-needed basis, including support at-sea.
- Collect, maintain, organize, compile, and manipulate technical data
- Work closely with engineering and recommends alternative solutions to problems and obstacles.
- Perform incoming material receiving inspection for circuit card assemblies (CCAs) and wire harnesses
- Familiar with executing and planning at-sea test activities
- Experience troubleshooting hardware/software systems
- Experience in robotics or unmanned systems
- Experience with oceanographic instruments – deployment/recovery/use
- Capable of reading and understanding mechanical and electrical drawings, specifications, work orders, and test procedures.
- Expertise with the use and operation of standard electronic test equipment; oscilloscopes, meters, frequency generators, etc.
- Expertise in troubleshooting electro-mechanical systems.
- Expertise in fiber optics troubleshooting, and repair.
- Capable of writing work orders and test procedures.
- Ability to take initiative in troubleshooting of issues; creative in determining approach or action to take in non-routine situations.
- Competent in use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Microsoft Project.
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent and 3 – 5 years of prior relevant experience.
- Marine / Shipboard experience
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs.
- Ability to work on a small boat (i.e. not susceptible to motion sickness)
- Forklift certification is a plus
- Willingness to support after-hours and on weekends as needed
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- TS/SCI Eligibility/Clearance preferred
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.