Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Our Transportation Solutions Operation delivers cutting-edge research in some of the most exciting technological fields and advances state-of-the-practice solutions in transportation safety. A new era of mobility requires specialized expertise to address paradigm shifts in how we travel and move goods.
We support our customers with:
Connected and Automated Vehicles
Aircraft Traffic Planning and Operations
Human Factors Research
Analysis, Modeling and Simulation
Transportation Safety and Operations, and Asset Management
e-Construction and Accelerated Construction
Research Facility Management
Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated individuals? Consider joining the Leidos team operating FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication. To support these goals, Leidos is seeking a Communications Engineer Intern who is motivated by variety, thrives in a challenging environment, seeks professional growth, and will be a key part of a team developing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research. This person will play a role in developing and evaluating technologies using the 5.9 GHz band. Systems of interest relate to the following:
• Vehicle-to-infrastructure, Vehicle-to-pedestrian, and vehicle-to-vehicle communication hardware and standards,
• Connected and Automated vehicles,
• Traffic operations, and
• Intelligent transportation systems.
The successful candidate will work closely with engineers, software developers, and project managers to identify testing needs; develop and execute test plans; install, evaluate, and manage communications hardware; and analyze wireless communications needs. The candidate should enjoy working in a lab environment and in real world settings developing and testing new solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance the state of technology and promote adoption. The Communications Engineer Intern will be part of a growing research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Interacting with in-house development teams to identify, understand, and resolve technical goals and challenges
• Working with wireless device vendors to procure development hardware
• Installing, configuring, and testing wireless hardware and software
• Independent troubleshooting
• Evaluating new communication methods using cellular and DSRC in a vehicle environment
• Developing Connected Vehicle- and Infrastructure-based applications on various platforms
• Tracking and reporting performance of hardware and software under test
• Producing clear and concise records of testing
• Writing and updating technical documentation
• Test planning and development, system testing, and user documentation.
Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Communications Engineering, or other engineering field.
Candidates must be enrolled in a degree program or equivalent experience and less than 2 years prior relevant experience.
Familiar with Linux and Windows Operating systems
Experience with networking protocols including IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP, and SNMP
Experience with creating and executing comprehensive test cases
Ability to identify, record, document, and track faults and flaws in a device under test
Self-motivated and ability to self-teach with minimal guidance
Good oral and written communication skills
Must follow-through on commitments and deliver quality products on or ahead of schedule
Hold a valid driver’s license in the US and has a good driving record.
Your GPA needs to be included on your application and resume.
• Experience with radio frequency device performance characterization and modulation techniques
• Experience with wireless standards including IEEE 802.11 & 1609, 3GPP LTE & 5G, SAE J2735 & J2945
• Familiar with connected vehicle and ITS standards including IEEE 1609, 3GPP Rel 14/15 PC5, SAE J2735/J2945/J3161, NTCIP 1202/1218
• Hands-on setup of data collection hardware and software
• Experience with Keysight Field Fox or another spectrum analyzer
• Experience working with Java, Python, SQL, C++, C#, C
• Understanding of connected and/or automated vehicle operations
• Understanding of network simulation tools (e.g., NS-3)
• Geospatial positioning (e.g., GPS) and position correction (e.g., RTCM)
• Awareness of the systems engineering process
• Experience with Git, Maven, and Gradle
• Network administration/engineering
• Data management
• Familiar with R, Matlab, and/or other professional statistical software package.
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
Pay Range:Pay Range $38,400.00 - $52,000.00 - $65,600.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.