We currently have a permanent vacancy for a Chief Engineer (CE) to provide technical leadership for programmes throughout the UK. Working within the Pre-Sales team, you will be responsible for producing high-quality, technical solutions and design proposals to deliver on the needs of both new and existing clients.
You will attend customer meetings to assess technical requirements and offer feasible technical solutions across both hardware and software. You will work with the customer to present design proposals, run demos, scope concepts and work collaboratively with bid sales, operational and resource teams to ensure successful delivery.
As Pre-sales CE you will also contribute to product development activities, keeping on top of market trends, technical developments and revolutionary offerings. We are looking for someone with a natural capability for translating technical solutions to non-technical teams and stakeholders and who has a successful track record delivering complex post-production and cloud solutions.
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY
CE should be highly innovative and versatile. The successful candidate will have a full understanding of the principles of system engineering, be able to demonstrate past successes in leading small diverse engineering teams and will have prior experience leading large small Systems Engineering teams for a programme. Using their experience in Systems Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle.
Duties will include but not limited to:
- Collaborates with the pre-sales/bid team on all engineering effort:
- Resource Management for engineering disciplines
- Technical customer requirements – discovery and analysis of requirements. Production of impact assessment and estimates against customer-provided specifications
- Solution derived requirements, design and approach
- Project management items; technical measures, constraints, risks, technical deliverables, assumptions, dependencies. Own and plan the engineering effort for their aspect of the programmes.
- Reviews the proposed technical solution and approach with the purpose of establishing and managing an overall technical baseline for his aspect of the programme.
- Execute the engineering effort.
- Communicates the technical plans and assignments to all members of their technical teams and sub-contractors
- Establish the technical sub-teams based on the agreed organisation structure
- Manage engineering analyses, trade studies, prototype development and test.
- Manage Bid deliverables
- Plan and direct the preparation, internal review, and customer delivery of bid deliverables.
- Plan, schedule, and lead technical bid reviews. Ensure all action items are recorded and assigned to the appropriate teams or individuals for disposition.
- Track and manage the closure of review action items
- Document and maintain the outputs of the process
- Conduct peer reviews on bid outputs of this process as defined by the project.
- Obtain approval of technical process outputs from internal and external stakeholders as defined in the bid’s plans.
- The ability to communicate at all levels about high level architecture as well as the low level design layers.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to interact at all levels from engineers to executives
- An ability to understand and translate customer needs and expectations
- Understanding of various system development methodologies
- Ability to lead, encourage and influence cross functional and multi-location teams
- Ability to define new strategies and processes, driving these through to their implementation
- Confidence to work independently and within a fast-paced team
- Experience of delivering solutions within the context of Service Orientated Architectures and associated service management solutions (people, process, governance & technology)
- Will have a high level of competency in the following areas:
- Delivering Engineering Solutions.
- Managing engineering processes.
- Delivering Quality.
- Engineering Planning.
- Managing Suppliers & Contractors.
- Cost Estimating.
- ITIL experience
- Cloud Micro-services
- Knowledge of defence, Home Office or Police programmes desirable, however experience of equivalent domains or systems suitable
- Experience of transitioning from legacy systems to new capabilities
- Experience of model based system engineering methodologies and outputs
- Experience decomposing system of systems architectures and specification of systems at multiple levels
- Experience of specifying systems/services from user perspective and ability to produce abstract views of detailed internal service design
- Experience in designing Cloud-based Platforms would be an advantage, including large scale system virtualisation and orchestration
- Experience of utilising DOORS (or similar requirements management tool) to manage requirements and Model Based Systems Engineering tools for managing user scenarios
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.