Leidos has a professional career opportunity in Reston, Va. for a Sr. Communications Manager to join the Internal Communications team and lead the development and execution of communication plans and supporting deliverables that inform and engage our growing workforce. The successful candidate will report to the Vice President, Internal Communications & Events and work closely with communications teammates, functional leaders, senior executives, and subject matter experts from across the enterprise. The Sr. Communications Manager will lead enterprise-wide initiatives and be the primary internal communications lead for one of our five business lines, with additional responsibility supporting the communications needs for other functional teams (e.g., business development, finance, information technology). She/he will be responsible for all aspects of designing and executing communication strategies and tactics, leveraging all communication channels (e.g., written communications, intranet content, virtual and in-person meetings), and developing the deliverables necessary to inform and engage the target audience. The successful candidate will be extremely detail-oriented, an expert writer, master editor, and easily produce outstanding work products while balancing multiple priorities. They will also be technology savvy, a master problem solver, and team player who embraces our core values.
The Leidos Internal Communications team plays a key role supporting business operations, facilitating employee engagement, and advancing our culture. We do this by partnering with executive leaders and functional organizations to execute their strategies and effectively flow timely and relevant information to target employee groups via the optimal channels.
This position will work at the Leidos Global Headquarters in Reston, Va. with flexibility to work remotely on occasion. Relocation is not available; local candidates are preferred.
- Develops company-wide and business line internal communications strategies, tactics, and materials in alignment with enterprise, business line, and functional team goals.
- Ghost writes communications for multiple executives, with the ability to capture unique styles for authenticity.
- Works with business line and functional team stakeholders to assess communication needs; determine key messages/themes and timing; and tailors communications for specific audiences.
- Writes communication deliverables for accuracy, tone, and clarity and reviews/edits work products from others for accuracy and clarity.
- Brainstorms ideas and brings to fruition employee engagement initiatives to foster culture and promote collaboration.
- Works with graphics designers and creative teammates to design and produce visually impactful deliverables in alignment with the Leidos brand and visual identity.
- Works under pressure and meets tight deadlines across multiple projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Ability to work some nights and weekends may be required.
- Leverages our collaborative employee intranet as part of daily responsibilities and proactively uses the tool to drive employee engagement. Manages several intranet pages to keep content fresh, current, and aligned with business objectives.
- Provides communications support (planning, emceeing, facilitating Q&A, etc.) for virtual and in-person meetings, events, and initiatives, as needed.
- Participates in meetings to gather and synthesize information and identify opportunities to develop and/or improve communications.
- Provides internal communications strategic guidance and counsel to senior leaders and functional teams.
- Drives review and approval process with key stakeholders and the internal communications team.
- Measures and presents results of communication efforts, as needed.
- Other duties/projects/assignments at the request of the Vice President, Internal Communications & Events and Chief Communications & Marketing Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in communications, marketing, or human resources.
- Expert command of the English language, including writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated, extremely detail-oriented, and highly organized with a proven track record of meeting deadlines.
- Strong project management skills and ability to balance and advance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to learn and master administrator use of our collaborative intranet platform and use the team’s workflow management platform.
- Ability to cultivate, manage, and leverage relationships, including senior executives, and meet multiple stakeholder requirements.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, maturity, and tact with proven ability to work across different audiences, personalities, and experience levels.
- Ability to work and produce deliverables independently and as part of multiple teams.
- Ability to curate and synthesize information into engaging and actionable deliverables.
- Ability to thrive in a highly flexible, rapidly changing, and collaborative work environment.
- Demonstrated foresight, initiative, and resourcefulness with a hands-on approach to problem solving.
- Familiarity with AP style and/or ability to lean and use our Leidos style guide.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint and easily capable of learning and using multiple new software platforms.
- Prior internal communications and employee engagement experience.
- Significant knowledge of corporate communications best practices.
- Experience with crisis communications and emergency preparedness/response.
- Change management experience.
- Experience working for or with government contractors and/or technology solutions providers.
- Familiarity with web conferencing tools and platforms.
- Experience using collaborative software and workflow management tools.
- Knowledge of web design, web development, user experience best practices, and basic HTML.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.