Seeking a Data Scientist to work as part of a small development team in a fast-paced, research, development, testing and evaluation environment at the Naval Information Warfare Center located in San Diego, CA.
The data scientist role involves extracting and analyzing engineering test data, interpreting results, and delivering information through presentations and reports. The scientist will develop and maintain analysis and reporting tools; and contribute to all aspects of the test lifecycle from planning to reporting.
The scientist will gain a high-level of knowledge on the autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) being utilized to collect data. This enables assessment of proper vehicle operation based on engineering data. Additionally, the scientist will gain expertise on each of the sensors integrated onto the vehicles to enable assessment of collected data.
Following test events, the scientist will:
- Conduct in-depth analysis of both vehicle and sensor performance.
- Track vehicle and sensor health and performance, identify issues and trends, and speculate on potential causes and mitigation strategies.
- Develop methods to analyze and report findings in an efficient manner, preferably automated, to enable development engineers to correct issues prior to the next test iteration.
- Convert large analyzed data sets into reports using document automation techniques.
A secondary role for this position is data management where the applicant will be asked to:
- Develop an inventory management system for hardware to include autonomous systems and components, sensors and components, and spare & repair parts.
- Develop and maintain a configuration management system to enable tracking autonomous system and sensor configurations to include statistics (e.g. component failure, etc.), maintenance schedule and completion, software versions installed, etc.
- Develop and maintain a document management system with appropriate controls to enable document collaboration as necessary, but with proper version control.
- Build inventory/content management systems that utilize “flows” for data lists and/or libraries.
In addition to primary duties, this individual will be encouraged to develop expertise on the functionality and operations of one or more AUV platforms, and may be asked operate the system at-sea during test and evaluation.
Requires BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
Experience / Skills
A competitive candidate will possess a working knowledge of most of the following fundamental capabilities, and familiarity with the remaining. The candidate must be willing to participate in on-the-job training to gain expert proficiency.
- Knowledge of basic statistics and probability principles, measurements, and methods
- Experience writing and optimizing code in MATLAB, Python, R, and/or similar statistical programming language
- Ability to organize and manipulate large, disparate datasets
- Proficiency in data analysis and signal processing techniques
- Proficiency in database management and configuration management
- Experience with SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft One Drive and/or Naval Research & Development Establishment (NRDE)/Amazon Web Services (AWS) used for data storage, manipulation, and sharing
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Experience with machine learning algorithm development preferred
Applicant shall have experience working in teams to develop solutions, deliver products, and test and evaluate performance. Applicant shall have experience and skill analyzing experiment data to determine results as feedback into the development cycle. Applicant shall have strong technical writing skills to provide input to technical reports and briefing material.
An ideal candidate would have experience with autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) operations, including experience analyzing data collected by these systems. Experience with at-sea test and evaluation (T&E) to include operations onboard small craft and large ships at sea is desired. A willingness to conduct such testing is required.
This position requires U.S. citizenship. Existing security clearance is highly desired. Willingness to acquire SECRET (and higher) clearance is required.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.