The Leidos Homeland Security Solutions operation has a current job opportunity for an experienced Journeyman 508 Compliance Specialist with strong systems and mobile software experience, to support a complex program to provide Agile development and operations and maintenance for critical systems on a mission-critical program supporting the Passenger Systems Program Directorate (PSPD) within Customs and Border Protection (CBP). PSPD supports the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and CBP critical missions, specifically screening and processing vehicles, cargo, and travelers at the ports of entry (POEs) into the United States.
The candidate will join a high-performing team to test and correct web-based content and both digital and print documents for the Customs and Border Protection to ensure content meets federal accessibility requirements. As a member of a highly collaborative Agile development team, the Compliance Specialist will work closely with the rest of the development and training team, internal customers, and subject matter experts. The selected candidate will leverage their skills to provide their expertise in Section 508 compliance across the software development lifecycle.
The candidate will exercise judgment in determining and recommending the best designs based on customer business objectives, timelines, and other resource constraints. The candidate will participate in and/or direct project deliverables through all aspects of the development life cycle including work scope estimation, customer acceptance, software delivery, training development and training delivery.
The Section 508 Compliance Specialist, Journeyman will be responsible for leveraging customer approved Section 508 compliance and testing standards to ensure systems and training materials meet federal accessibility standards. The Section 508 Compliance Specialist must be a self-starter, strong leader, and have the ability to work indep0endently with little supervision.
- Review digital documents and products, including PDFs and MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) files, and mobile and desktop software user interfaces, against Section 508 compliance standards to ensure content conforms to accessibility guidelines and requirements; provide compliant files back to authors. Quickly and accurately pinpoint areas of non-compliance in documents and UI/UX and suggest solutions to achieve compliance.
- Assist web team to validate 508 compliances against government accessibility standards on web-based content.
- Ensure new documents and forms are prepared or finalized in accordance with Section 508 compliance requirements.
- Work collaboratively with internal customers, production colleagues, and program team to encourage accessible authoring of content by sharing guidelines, best practices, and subject matter expertise.
- Maintain current knowledge of Section 508 compliance and accessibility guidelines and checklists.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience; OR 4 additional years of experience in lieu of degree
- Must be able to maintain and obtain a CBP Background Investigation prior to start
- Must be a US Citizen
- Minimum of 2-3 years of demonstrated experience. Experience serving as a compliance lead
- Well versed in Section 508 Accessibility requirements.
- Experience creating Section 508–compliant PDF, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and digital products (video, infographics, and interactive products).
- Ability to turnaround compliant documents in a timely fashion and manage multiple deliverables.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and accessibility testing tools, such as CommonLook Global Access, color contrast checkers, and screen reading applications.
- Experience working with Agile software development teams
- Experience with an issue/problem tracking system (e.g., Jira).
- Strong, self-motivated desire to learn new programming languages, tools, frameworks, and techniques
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills, including the ability to logically create structure and order from unstructured inputs.
- Self-starter who can work independently while possessing the communication skills to work effectively with software development teams, customers, and senior Leidos leadership.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent writing, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Success with being a team player.
- Self-starter, with ability to manage tasks and handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- Experience with CBP
- Active Top Secret security clearance