Looking for an opportunity to make an impact? Join the Leidos Civil IT (CivIT) team in accelerating cybersecurity in a changing world where we make a difference by protecting critical networks for our government and commercial customers.
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Are you ready to challenge yourself with an organization that encourage & support career growth on an enterprise-wide scale? Your greatest work is ahead!
We are in search of a Security Engineering & Operations (E&O) Technical Lead to join our National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Cyber Security Center (NCSC) Engineering & Operations team. As a Cyber E&O Technical Lead, you will play a valuable part in supporting the NCSC’s mission to protect NOAA networks, computers, programs and data from cyber-attack damage and unauthorized access.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive while being challenged, keep reading!
Leidos Civil Group helps modernize infrastructure, systems, and security. We are a trusted partner to both government and highly-regulated commercial customers looking for transformative solutions in mission IT, security, software, engineering, and operations. We work with our customers including the FAA, DOE, NASA, National Science Foundation, Transportation Security Administration, Custom and Border Protection, airports, and electric utilities to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. To explore and learn more about the Leidos Civil Group, click here!
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career, share your resume with us today!
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Provide technical oversight across the NOAA NCSC program to a team of security infrastructure, network, firewall engineers, and team leads
- Provide guidance, coaching, and development to a cross functional security engineering & operations team
- Design, develop, or recommend integrated system solutions ensuring proprietary/confidential data and systems are protected
- Engage the client, where applicable, in the strategic design process to translate security and business requirements into technical designs
- Support the project lifecycle for infrastructure and technology projects
- Configure and validate secure systems
- Attend team lead sessions and act as a conduit with the program leadership team
- Testing security products/systems to detect computer and information security weakness
- Foster your team’s skills, knowledge, and experience to help drive retention, growth, career mobility, and success
- Facilitate and delegate daily ticket queue management, tasks, and projects where applicable
- Manage and react to system monitoring alerting as needed
- Coach, develop, and train staff on standard operating procedures, best practices, ticket documentation process, technical workarounds, root cause analysis, and corrective actions
- Perform system checkouts and testing of system upgrades and patches within operational environments
- Coordinate with enterprise partners on system outages and make decisions on system failover to different availability zones or data centers when applicable
- Ensure documentation relative operational procedures, services, etc., are written and centrally accessible and updated as necessary
Required Experience, Skills, and Education:
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information technology, or other Cyber Security field from an accredited university and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience. Additional years of relevant experience and/or technology certifications may be considered in lieu of degree
- Knowledge of security system design tools, methods, and techniques
- Knowledge of key concepts in security management (e.g., Release Management, Patch Management)
- Knowledge of network design processes, to include understanding of security objectives, operational objectives, and trade-offs
- Knowledge of new and emerging information technology (IT) and cybersecurity technologies
- Knowledge of specific operational impacts of cybersecurity lapses
- Knowledge of system life cycle management principles, including software security and usability
- Knowledge of capabilities and requirements analysis
- Knowledge of network security architecture concepts including topology, protocols, components, and principles (e.g., application of defense-in-depth)
- Knowledge of basic system, network, and OS hardening techniques
- Skill in conducting vulnerability scans and recognizing vulnerabilities in security systems
- Skill in identifying systemic security issues based on the analysis of vulnerability and configuration data
- Skill in troubleshooting and diagnosing cyber defense infrastructure and application anomalies and work through resolution
- Skill in applying and incorporating information technologies into proposed solutions
- Skill to apply cybersecurity and privacy principles to organizational requirements (relevant to confidentiality, integrity, availability, authentication, non-repudiation).
- Skill in recognizing vulnerabilities in security systems. (e.g., vulnerability and compliance scanning).
- Skill in developing and applying security system access controls
- Skill in determining how a security system should work (including its resilience and dependability capabilities) and how changes in conditions, operations, or the environment will affect these outcomes.
- Skill in independently making configuration updates to ensure system availability requirements
- Skill in system, network, and OS hardening techniques. (e.g., remove unnecessary services, password policies, network segmentation, enable logging, least privilege, etc.)
- Ability to write and verbally communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills and demonstrate poise and ability to act calmly and competently in high-pressure, and high-stress situations
- Ability to share meaningful insights about the context of an organization’s threat environment that improve its risk management posture
- Ability and drive to quickly learn new software and IT concepts
- Understanding of accepted security practices, troubleshooting issues, attack vectors, and customer support
- Knowledge and experience in administering: Windows, Archer, ThreatConnect, FireEye, Tenable/Nessus, WebInspect, SCCM, VMWare, FreeNAS/Pure/NetApp storage, and PKI certificate management
- US Citizenship is required
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Education:
- Demonstrated experience in cyber security design, engineering and operations
- Experience with System Administration, Network Administration Network Security, Networking Standards, Network Protocols, NIST/FISMA standards and controls, SIEM platforms and security tools, Network Hardware Configurations
- Cyber Security Training or Certification (ie Securty+, Network+, SPLUNK, FireEye )
- Knowledge of NIST SP 800 53 series or ISO 27000 series documents
- Windows 10 security best practices and configurations
- Understanding of advanced threat detection in an enterprise environment
- Understanding of malware families, their types, and the threat they pose
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows administrative & troubleshooting tools
- Demonstrated experience performing cybersecurity analysis from an operations & engineering perspective
- Experience with Splunk (preferred) or other SIEM platform
- Must be a US Citizen and have at a minimum a Secret clearance or be able to obtain clearance before starting position
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.